iPod Nano 2G vs 3G sq comparison
May 8, 2008 at 5:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

moriez

Headphoneus Supremus
Who spent time with these two ladies and has an opinion on how they compare in sq? Im a considering a smaller iPod for on-the-go. Currently I own the 4G Color and am happy enough with the sound out of that one. Its just a bit big.

Thanks.

May 8, 2008 at 7:08 PM Post #3 of 10
imo, all ipods except shuffle sound pretty much the same.
i dont think you'll hear any difference between 2g and 3g even if you use them amped.
i tested ipod picture(4g?), ipod video(5.5g), ipod classic(6g?), 3g nano and my bro's ipod mini with headsix portable amp and gilmore lite desktop amp. i found 6g to be slightly better and the others all the same.

May 8, 2008 at 9:37 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leroy Jenkems /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you are interested in sq, have you looked at the sansa clip?

or are you interested in just those two players?

Just the iPods really. I am used to them and think they look the sweetest. Especially the 3G :O

May 10, 2008 at 8:22 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjumper78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
imo, all ipods except shuffle sound pretty much the same.
i dont think you'll hear any difference between 2g and 3g even if you use them amped.
i tested ipod picture(4g?), ipod video(5.5g), ipod classic(6g?), 3g nano and my bro's ipod mini with headsix portable amp and gilmore lite desktop amp. i found 6g to be slightly better and the others all the same.

Straight up, I have no idea how someone could arrive at the conclusion above. My 3G nano just arrived and was listening to it via line-out through Headsix amp (E500s), then switched out of curiosity to my 2G nano. I tell you, if you couldn't hear the difference I would send you straight to the audiologist for testing. The 2G nano is MUCH brighter and has significant emphasis on mid-to-high frequencies. The 3G nano appears to be Apple's attempt to improve bass complaints because it has more bass impact but apparently at the expense of upper-range response. Perhaps jumper has not listened to the two back-to-back, but I have and the difference is clear.

Not saying I favor either sound sig though, just different.

May 11, 2008 at 7:13 AM Post #8 of 10
the 3g is a sweet sounding player. it has excellent staging (stereo separation), besting all of my other players by 10 db. its bass roll off is not severe (perfectly normal) and has very low hiss.

for portable listening, it is the best player i have used thus far. it does lossless, gapless, itunes and has good firmware support.

sansa: if you want only to listen to iems and never lossless, gapless or have near 30 hour battery life. sansa are fine yeah but no gapless? that alone would send me far and away from them.

edit: the 3g nano has better separation of stereo than the sansa but the sansa has better bass roll off so it does not get muddy at all like other players that doe not separate the stereo well.

the best for stereo separation may be the sony a600 but i have not tested it. just from listening with my resistor cable i can tell you that it is amazing (hisses like a snake though)

May 11, 2008 at 12:34 PM Post #9 of 10
I'm pretty stunned that there are so many 'no difference' opinions. I'll have to go back and do an A/B test to make sure I'm not suffering from some kind of placebo pill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back