ipod mini with ety er-6?
Jul 15, 2004 at 9:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

lingbrabus

New Head-Fier
Hi, first of all, this is my first post here
600smile.gif

I'm going to buy an ipod mini at the end of this month and looking for a pair of decent canal phone (I only want to shell out only about $100). I know that this issue has been discussed to death but after a lot of readings I cannot find a clear conclusion from mixed reviews. By the way I am an intermediate audiophile and have quite a nice rig at home. I want to get a pair of earphone that offers flat frequency response, not exaggerating bass or treble (I'm definitely not a bass-head and like to listen to smooth jazz, pop and electronics). Here are my questions:

1. I found from reviews that lots of people say that ety er-6 lack bass, should this be a problem for an audiophile? (I heard that the upcoming 6i for ipod will have enhance bass and higher sensitivity so it raise my curiosity even more)

2. Does ipod have enough power to drive this canal phone? (I don't want to lug around a headphone amp)

3. And if er-6 really lack bass, is shure e2c a good alternative? (as of now, I'm leaning toward er-6 because I heard that it has more detailed sound)

4. Finally, does anybody know where I can audition er-6 and e2c in Atlanta, GA?

thanks in advance for your response.

Jul 15, 2004 at 9:34 AM Post #2 of 3
I have a 3g iPod/ER4P and it leaves very little to be desired. Better bass would be nice, but it's an all around great combination. I did not like the Shure E2c's at all. The bass was boomy and unclear. If it is anything like the ER4/iPod combo I have I think you would be quite happy with the ER6/mini combo. The mini has pleanty of power for the ER6's. Auditioning canalphones is tough because you get ear funk on them. Toddthevinyljunkie & headphone will both give you the option of returning them if you don't like them... might be a good option in your case. I got my ER4's from idealsound and they did an excellent job getting them 2 me. Stick with the sponsors of this forum, they're all good.

Good luck

Jul 15, 2004 at 10:08 AM Post #3 of 3
Try the new ER6i, which are designed to work with an iPod. What i've read said they should have more bass than the regular ER6. I'm not sure if they're available yet, check the Etymotic Research website I guess.

btw take what you read here with a grain of salt - everything's relative. I've bought things that people here have said have little bass and they were fine (Shure E3c), and i've bought things that are meant to be bass monsters and found them good too (EX71).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back