iPod Mini vs 5G DAC?
Nov 29, 2008 at 4:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

hmai18

100+ Head-Fier
I was up until 2am reading through the CompactFlash iPod mini thread and I'm really tempted to make myself a 32Gb flash-based player. There were several posts in that thread praising the SQ of the mini, but I'm wondering how it compares to my 30Gb iPod video.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that there's a Wolfson DAC inside my 5G, but am a little unsure as to what that means in terms of listening to music from the headphone port vs getting a LOD.

For what it's worth, I'll be listening to the device either with Klipsch X5s and probably a Fiio E5 while on the go, or Denon D1001 through a cmoy when I'm at home.

Nov 30, 2008 at 12:54 AM Post #2 of 3
I couldn't to my ears hear any noticeable difference between my Ipod mini and my 5.5 gen video when using the lineout. They both have Wolfson dacs but different models.
The general consensus is that the Lineout with an amp sounds better then the headphone out. That's definitley the case with the Ipod Mini in my experience.
Even if you do notice a slight diminuation in sq with the Ipod mini I think that it is worth having a small source and amp that you can stick in your front pocket. As far as an amp I'm using an Ibasso t4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back