iPOD Mini to iAudio X5 learning curve.
Oct 4, 2005 at 3:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Spiritboxer

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm upgrading to at least a 20GB player. I already know how to set up a new iPod, how much more difficult will it be to do it for an iAudio X5? Bear in mind I'm a bit ill and not as lucid as I'd like to be. I'm happy with the iPod sound but the X5 is much better from what I've heard and it's hard to pass it up. I was down at J&R Sat and they have the 20 & 30GB models on display and in stock. I could go down there Thursday, audition 'em and pick one up right away. I just concerned that setting up a new system might be more than I want to deal with right now.
What do you guys think? Ordinarily it wouldn't be a problem but the meds, ect have me pretty much out of it. Nothing can stop me from buying stuff but I wanna make sure it's the right stuff.
TIA,
SB

Oct 4, 2005 at 5:20 AM Post #3 of 13
Its easy. Get a program to properly tag your music using FreeDB or something like that, preferably (Artist - Album\Track# - Song. I think its the best for the X5 IMO) Other than that theres not much of a learning curve when it comes to software. Its a simple drag and drop interface, giving you the option of arranging the folders how you want it. If you want to encode video, use Jetaudio to encode it to X5 format and just drag it over to the player.

The interface of the X5 itself is albeit more complex than the one on the iPod. Although it isnt exactly rocket science to figure out, you will probably have to reference to the manual to see how some features work by holding down some buttons to make a menu show up. However, once you do get used to the interface its really simple to use and everything just becomes impulse.

Oct 4, 2005 at 5:36 AM Post #4 of 13
Spiritboxer, if you've become accustomed to iTunes you can even continue to use it to organize your music if you want. It won't transfer to the X5, but that may help on that end (just encode in MP3, not AAC). That's half of it, then you just glance through the manual for any non-intuitive functioning on the player itself.

Oct 4, 2005 at 5:48 AM Post #5 of 13
I've been using ipods for years and I didn't find the switch to X5 difficult at all. In many ways I actually prefer the X5 interface. Despite all the hype about the scroll wheel I've never been a big fan of that interface (I don't like notebook touchpads either).The menus are logical and I just played around with it for a bit before feeling comfortable, with the occasional look at the manual if I got stuck.

Oct 4, 2005 at 5:58 AM Post #6 of 13
The difference in sound is mostly in "flavouring" - the underlying quality is probably similar or better on the iPod, but it's just the presentation that is different.

If you want a more colored sounds, or more bass than the X5 will be good, otherwise, don't buy the X5 for the sound.

In your case, having organised all your music in iTunes/already accustomed yourself to the Apple way of things, I would save myself the trouble and just buy and iPod.

That is if course forgetting X5's other features which you may or may not be after.

Oct 4, 2005 at 9:05 AM Post #8 of 13
I just got mine this week. The X5L 30gb version and it is banging. The sound quality is very good even with them stock cans and the interface is easy to master. I manage to get everything under my palms in 5 minutes.

Just remember that holding buttons activate some functions.

Oct 4, 2005 at 10:20 AM Post #9 of 13
Thanks everybody, I'll take my UM2's down to J&R on Thursday and give 'em a listen. Right now I'm listening to the Mini from the line out using a sik din, a PA2V2, a 6 " Cardas mini to mini and the Westones. Sounds pretty good if I do say so myself, we'll see what the X5 has to offer.

Oct 4, 2005 at 10:12 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4xer
How much are them UM2's?

They had gone down to $240 but I think that sale is over.

Oct 5, 2005 at 12:40 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spiritboxer
Thanks everybody, I'll take my UM2's down to J&R on Thursday and give 'em a listen. Right now I'm listening to the Mini from the line out using a sik din, a PA2V2, a 6 " Cardas mini to mini and the Westones. Sounds pretty good if I do say so myself, we'll see what the X5 has to offer.

Dont forget to amp it using the headphone out, the line out just plain out sucks
tongue.gif

Oct 5, 2005 at 2:46 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by XxATOLxX
Dont forget to amp it using the headphone out, the line out just plain out sucks
tongue.gif

Thanks for the heads up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back