iPod Mini + SR-71 + SR225: does it get much better than this?
Jul 13, 2005 at 4:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

appar111

Headphoneus Supremus
Just took possession of some SR225's on Monday, and they sound stellar with either the bowls or the flats through my PCII and ipod mini. For rock and metal, they are a much better match for my ears than the DT770's.

I now have some money freed up for either a guitar or an SR-71 amp. Not sure on the guitar yet, but the SR-71 is looking very tempting. Since I already have a Porta Corda Mk II, I can't help but wonder if I'll notice a difference if I up it to the SR-71.

Would the SR-71 be overkill with the 225's, since they're easily driven anyway? Or will it make them sound even better? (and they sound darned awesome right now).

Jul 13, 2005 at 4:38 PM Post #2 of 10
Save the cash and get yourself a guitar, man. Nothing beats the joy of creating music yourself. And, you will get something of far greater tangible musical value that the minimal increase in perceived sound quality the SR-71 will add to your setup.

Jul 13, 2005 at 4:40 PM Post #3 of 10
Jul 13, 2005 at 4:43 PM Post #4 of 10
You've asked on the SR-71 before...still stewing huh?

I think Grados and the SR71 go great together...but don't you have a govibe or some other portable amp now? I doubt the SR71 will give you $400 of improvement over what you have now. It's more important that you use some half decent amp with the 225's...doesn't have to be the '71.

I'm glad you like your 225's....they are my current favs.

Jul 13, 2005 at 5:02 PM Post #5 of 10
Anyone can listen but playing gives you the opportunity to "be" the music. Get the guitar.

Jul 13, 2005 at 5:12 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by appar111
Just took possession of some SR225's on Monday, and they sound stellar with either the bowls or the flats through my PCII and ipod mini. For rock and metal, they are a much better match for my ears than the DT770's.

I now have some money freed up for either a guitar or an SR-71 amp. Not sure on the guitar yet, but the SR-71 is looking very tempting. Since I already have a Porta Corda Mk II, I can't help but wonder if I'll notice a difference if I up it to the SR-71.

Would the SR-71 be overkill with the 225's, since they're easily driven anyway? Or will it make them sound even better? (and they sound darned awesome right now).

Sell everything , get the guitar and ksc75 . You 'll be happy

Jul 13, 2005 at 5:16 PM Post #7 of 10
Here's the guitar i'm looking at:

Jul 13, 2005 at 5:22 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by hentai
Sell everything , get the guitar and ksc75 . You 'll be happy

LOL, I'm almost at that point already! I have the KSC-75 and the SR225, both of which sound good unamped, and the Porta Corda for when I do want to amp things.

Jul 13, 2005 at 5:37 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by appar111
LOL, I'm almost at that point already! I have the KSC-75 and the SR225, both of which sound good unamped, and the Porta Corda for when I do want to amp things.

Wanna do it? , do it all the way!!! Like a person who is sick of worldly affair and be a monk
biggrin.gif

But seriously i don't think there's much difference from a porta corda league to sr71 league. To me the wow factor needs $500 more from a $200 stuff and amp makes the least wow factor per price

Like sr225 , it needs grado rs-1 to get wow factor ( even the wow factor is nothing worth crying about) , not sr321i ( these are not much of improvement, very subtle in fact)

I can't even justify the price difference btn sr225 and ksc75

So thats why i put a halt to this hobby till i get a job and rich enough to get things which the big boys have in headfi

Jul 13, 2005 at 5:43 PM Post #10 of 10
Hopefully you've come to that realization without having to completely bleed your bank account dry. And at least you have a plan to cool the jets until you can afford the "next level" stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back