iPod Mini Sound Quality?
Feb 27, 2006 at 10:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Dead Ghost

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,
I plan to buy an Ipod Mini and i wander how is the sound quality compared to other mp3 players on the market. Not with the factory default headphones, but with some good ones. I also want to get some Sennheiser 595 headphones to go with my ipod...It's this a good combination?
I never owned an mp3 player before, i only listen to music from my pc and stereo system..

Feb 28, 2006 at 12:10 AM Post #3 of 10
The second-generation one I have sounds decent, but you should stay away from the first-generation minis. They have a problem with bass rolloff (from the headphone port). I'd say the second generation is the same as the 4G iPod.

The Nano, 5G, and Shuffle all beat even the second generation mini at SQ though.

Feb 28, 2006 at 1:18 AM Post #4 of 10
i have a mini and after turning the volume at past 50%, it is already intolerable. Bought mine 2 weeks before the nano came out.... talk about bad timing
frown.gif
anyway my sister has a nano and it has a way better sound than my mini.

p.s. arent the minis already phased out??

Feb 28, 2006 at 11:20 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob_McBob
The mini is generally regarded as the worst of the iPods for SQ. They are pretty nice other than that, but who wants a player that sounds bad?

Says who? I've never seen anyone say that, except those who have fallen victim to placebo.

Feb 28, 2006 at 1:29 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoSXS
Says who? I've never seen anyone say that, except those who have fallen victim to placebo.

Thats surprising, I've read its one of the poorer DAPs aswell. Of course it depends on the source and the earphones. If you are only listening to obscure Death Metal at 64kps then does it really matter?

Feb 28, 2006 at 9:29 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky191
Thats surprising, I've read its one of the poorer DAPs aswell. Of course it depends on the source and the earphones. If you are only listening to obscure Death Metal at 64kps then does it really matter?

I honestly believe anyone who says the iPod mini has poor sound quality is just playing into the "iPod Hate" trend
redface.gif
Thats why I said "placebo". A lot of these people who say the iPod mini has "bad" sound because of the units size. Ironically, they say the iPod shuffle has the "best" sound quality and that the 5G iPod sounds better still than the mini, even though the 30GB 5G is thinner than the mini was.

It's all about the hate, really. 2G mini sounds exactly the same to me as 60GB 4G/photo with my A500s and 256kbps VBR AAC.

Feb 28, 2006 at 10:59 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoSXS
I...It's all about the hate, really. 2G mini sounds exactly the same to me as 60GB 4G/photo with my A500s and 256kbps VBR AAC.

Why would you expect them to be different? I haven't heard a 4G photo but I have heard a 1G Mini and a 4G U2 and they did nothing for me compared to other players I've heard. I have heard a 5G and it sounded a lot better to my ears than the 4G.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back