iPod Mini --> ??? ---> Shure E4c
Dec 5, 2005 at 8:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

CandiedEel

New Head-Fier
I currently have an iPod Mini and have reason to believe that I will be receiving the Shure E4c for Christmas. I have read about bad synergy between the iPod Mini and the E4c, but I was wondering if maybe the right amp would help alleviate the problem.

I am willing to spend up to a couple hundred on an amp but I would rather keep it under $100... especially for my first amp... so I've seriously been considering the PA2V2.

I will primarily be listening to all kinds of rock. Everything from the Postal Service to Avenged Sevenfold. I also listen to some jazz and electronica.

Here is what I'm wondering:

1. Bass is important to me. My HD-280 lacks bass unamped from my iPod and my laptop. Will an amped Shure E4c have significantly more bass than my HD-280?

2. If I decide to splurge in the future, how big would the difference in audio quality be if I went from, say, a PA2V2 to a SR-71? (compared to the jump from unamped to PA2V2, for example)

3. Would the PA2V2 be a good option for my situation?

Thanks for the help.

Dec 6, 2005 at 8:21 AM Post #2 of 7
I'm also getting the PA2V2 as I was told that it increases the bass. Just what the Shure E4c needs.
biggrin.gif

Dec 6, 2005 at 3:32 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by CandiedEel
1. Bass is important to me. My HD-280 lacks bass unamped from my iPod and my laptop. Will an amped Shure E4c have significantly more bass than my HD-280?

I'd say no. It will not have significantly more bass.

Dec 6, 2005 at 4:43 PM Post #5 of 7
You need something from Xin with a bass boost, one of the Super Macro amps

Dec 7, 2005 at 9:09 AM Post #6 of 7
I've never compared to other portable amps, but FWIW, I have a Porta Corda MkIII USB right in the spot you're looking to fit, and I'm happy. The fact that it has crossfeed and USB in is totally decisive for me.

Do absolutely make sure you get a line out for the iPod.

Dec 7, 2005 at 9:34 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by CandiedEel
1. Bass is important to me.

I have an Xin amp (an older Super mini) and a brand new Porta Corda USB. And I hear slight differences compard to straight out of player sound. But what really makes a difference is the can you use. My Koss Pro Prorta as a traditional on ear phone gives bass as well as my ultimate ears super.fi 5 EB. but my Ety ER-6 and even my Shure E2c dont give me that much, or to be true less than I want. Therefor I would suggest that yo utest your presumed christmas present before you "upgrade" to soon with amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back