iPod Mini Questions
Feb 27, 2004 at 6:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

jeri534

100+ Head-Fier
I am in the market for a new mp3 and had some questions about the iPod mini...

-How is the player charged? I was looking at some pics of the dock and there doesn't seem to be a port going to the AC adapter.

-How is the sound? How does it compare to the karma or the zen xtra?

-How is the build quality of the iPod mini? Does the build seem cheap or sturdy?

If I have anymore questions I will post them in this thread...thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 27, 2004 at 8:47 PM Post #2 of 15
-How is the player charged? I was looking at some pics of the dock and there doesn't seem to be a port going to the AC adapter.

You use the firewire cable to chage, that plugs into the AC adapter

Sounds great to me. I don't have the other players you mentioned

-How is the build quality of the iPod mini? Does the build seem cheap or sturdy?

Best of the best, but build quality is nothing short of fantastic.

If I have anymore questions I will post them in this thread...thanks
smily_headphones1.gif
[/B][/QUOTE]

Feb 27, 2004 at 9:16 PM Post #3 of 15

As stan23 said, OR by connecting to a computer using either USB or FireWire.

I'm a little disappointed. The sound is somewhat flat compared to my Sony D-EJ915 portable CD player. I mainly use earbuds which require some bass boost, but none of the (many) EQ settings work really well for me. I wish there was a user configurable EQ, or a bass boost like that on my Sony.

Nothing short of spectacular.

Feb 27, 2004 at 9:44 PM Post #5 of 15
Go to your PC's Device Manager (Right-click on My Computer->Properties->Hardware->Device Manager)

Go down to your USB Root Hub. Look at the Power tab. Mine says "Total power available: 500mA per port."

So that's how it gets powered...

Feb 27, 2004 at 9:45 PM Post #6 of 15
Just bought my iPod mini Silver on Monday, it totally kicks. The iTunes integration is very nicely done in my opinion. Yes I'm disappointed at the price/storage ratio but as far as it being a portable audio device, nothing can touch it for ease of use.

As the others have said, it's charged in one of two ways: The included AC adapter uses the Firewire cable to charge the iPod from a wall socket; or you can use either the Firewire cable or the USB cable attached to a PC. Mind you, the port you're plugging into on the PC needs to be a powered Firewire/USB port. Not all of them are automatically. If you have a keyboard of some kind with a USB port in it that most likely isn't a powered USB port; most of the time USB ports directly on a computer case or motherboard tend to be the powered ports. I'm not a big fan of Firewire because of it's non-widespread use on PCs (I can find USB on any PC but the same can't be said of Firewire, although it is becoming more common).

Unlike all the other iPods, the mini comes with a Firewire AND a USB cable so you can use either one based on what ports your PC has.

As far as transfer speeds go, don't buy into the BS that people will preach about Firewire being faster, USB slower, etc. The 4GB hard drive inside the iPod mini can't write data at more than maybe 3MB/s anyway, so being able to transfer songs from the PC to the iPod at over 30-40MB/s is pointless since the iPod chokes when trying to write the files to the hard drive. Kinda like attaching a fire hose to a garden hose: The pressure and amount of water flowing through the fire hose can't possible fit in the garden hose so you'll be throttled down to the garden hose speed/flowrate. Same principle, I just can't think of a better way to explain it.

With good earplugs/earphones/headphones I'd say the iPod mini sounds fine. I think people spend to much time complaining and worrying about "CD quality" with regards to these portable audio players - but that's just my opinion. If I wanted true CD quality I'd have bought a real PCDP (Portable CD Player) instead of an iPod. With AAC at 192Kbps encoded with iTunes directly from the original CD, I'd say anyone short of a professional audio recording engineer (or Commander Data from Star Trek: The Next Generation) would be hard pressed to complain

As for build quality, it's awesome. A nice solid piece of equipment. You begin to appreciate it as a true work of art once you have it for a few days, it's just beautiful design and engineering coupled with very easy usability.

Hope this helps,
br0adband

Feb 27, 2004 at 9:46 PM Post #7 of 15
The iPod Mini can charge from the USB 2 ports, while the regular iPod cannot. Depends on your power output from the USB port, it may or may not work.. but for most computers it's not a problem.

I don't know which cord the iPod mini comes with. However, the USB 2.0 cord used with the regular iPod has both an USB and a FireWire plug (two cords come out of it).. you can plug the firewire into their AC adaptor (which accepts a firewire cord into it, and then plugs into an outlet) and then connect to the USB cable to the USB port.

Feb 27, 2004 at 10:46 PM Post #8 of 15
I am also pleased as punch with my ipod mini. People who gripe too much about poor GB/$ value miss the point. This player is just alittle bit bigger than most flash-based players! The design/build is an improvement in every way over the 3G ipod. First of all the casing is anondized and very scratch-resistant. With a combination of click-wheel and scroll-wheel, it also solves the over-sensitivity of the 3G touch-wheel. The screen is also sharper and slightly recessed (less-scratch prone). Soundwise, I think it is brighter than the ipod.

To be able to fit say 40 CDs encoded at aps high-quality on such a pocketable device is pretty damn sweet.

Feb 28, 2004 at 4:18 PM Post #10 of 15
I think there is an *unscientific* test of the iPod mini battery life posted here in this forum in the past few days, look for it. I'd say you should expect the same time regardless of the format of the file you're playing but I'm sure on a technical level there is some difference.

br0adband

ps
On my mini doing a battery test I charged it with the AC adapter till it said "Charged" and then disconnected the AC adapter and pressed Play. It ran for over 9 hours playing a mix of AAC 128, AAC 192 and LAME APS VBR mp3 files before shutting itself off, but YMMV -- Your Mileage May Vary.

Feb 29, 2004 at 4:28 AM Post #11 of 15
I am more than happy with the mini's build quality and new features (redesigned scroll wheel, clip-in case, screen). The sound out of the mini seems identical to that of my 3G 30GB iPod. It would not be fair to compare the sound quality of my Karma with the mini b/c I use only FLAC tunes on the Karma and the compression on the iPod (and mini) makes it an uneven playing field.

Feb 29, 2004 at 8:33 AM Post #12 of 15
I got 6 hours on my first charge. The battery meter was down to a sliver, but not completely discharged (which is something you don't want to do ). Since then, I believe I get more than 6 hrs. In general, people have reported the Mini to have better battery life than the ipod 3g. I never need more than 5-6 hrs of daily 'on-the-go' use, so massive battery life is not paramount for me. The mp3s loaded on my Mini are probably 75% aps encoded.

Mar 1, 2004 at 1:29 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

How is the sound? How does it compare to the karma or the zen xtra?

To MY ears it does not compete with the Xtra. With no EQ, the sound is crisp but flat to my ears. With EQ, it gains depth but at the expense of smeared percussion (again to my ears). The Xtra sounds far better.

Other than the sound quality being about a 6 out of 10, the mini scores a 9 or 10 in all other categories. I cannot say enough good things about how easy iPods integrate with iTunes. Creative and Rio - take notice how true integration is done!

Mar 1, 2004 at 5:27 AM Post #14 of 15
Well after having sung its praises, I did some closer listening this weekend, and have to agree with ezra. To my ears, the Mini does not sound as "full" as the 3g ipod (both headphone jack & line-out). The sound is "thinner" with some brightness to compensate. That said, the sound is still very good, just not as good as the 3g ipod. I'd be interested to hear what others who own both think.

Mar 2, 2004 at 12:31 AM Post #15 of 15
Is the mini lacking the bass response of the standard iPod?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back