Ipod Mini or Iaudio U2
Apr 19, 2005 at 3:08 AM Post #16 of 29
How good are Ipod Mini's? Are they just overrated due to the general publics ignorance? How does the sound quality compare to the U2's? I'm just curious because everyone tells me to get an Ipod.

Apr 19, 2005 at 3:24 AM Post #17 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomad01
How good are Ipod Mini's? Are they just overrated due to the general publics ignorance? How does the sound quality compare to the U2's? I'm just curious because everyone tells me to get an Ipod.

Well, they're actually pretty good. But poeple including I don't recommend them because there are hell a lot of players that are better than them. I think the SQ of ipods and ipod minis are quite flat, and EQing doesn't help much. I would just go with the iAudio U2.

Apr 19, 2005 at 3:25 AM Post #18 of 29
Can't answer because I never tried one, but personally, I like flash players because they are light, never skip, and have the best battery life. Flash is definitely the way to go if you are active.

The Jetaudio G3 is worth looking at too. It has the longest battery life by far between the G3, I5 and U2. I think the U2 probably have about the same battery life (rated around 20 hours, actual is probably 15).

The G3 is rated at 50 hours! on a single AA cell! I doubt it would actually get that because the manufacturers always exagerrate, but it probably will run at least 35 hours compared to around 15 for the U2 and I5. That's a plus because it means you won't need to take the player out of the case and replace the battery too often.

The downside of the G3 is that it is somewhat plain looking. But functionality is what really matters. I don't look at it when it's in my pocket. It has the same control stick as the U2 which is a plus for me, so you can control it easily in your pocket without taking it out to look.

Also, the G3 is significantly heavier than the U2 since it has a single AA cell, but it is still lighter than any HDD player. Unlike the U2 though, you can get the G3 in a 2 GB version which makes the larger size and weigth worth it.

Apr 19, 2005 at 3:27 AM Post #19 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by insomniac
So all the iaudio models require software to transfer music?

No.
ALL iAUDIO players DOESN'T NEED special software to transfer music.

But a software is provided called jetshell. It is fully OPTIONAL.

I didn't install the program but still able to transfer music to iAUDIO M3 by windows explorer.

Apr 19, 2005 at 4:22 AM Post #20 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundbuff
Can't answer because I never tried one, but personally, I like flash players because they are light, never skip, and have the best battery life. Flash is definitely the way to go if you are active.

I agree if lightness, non-skipping and battery life are what's most important to you go for flash... def.
wink.gif

ZT

Apr 20, 2005 at 1:55 AM Post #22 of 29
Quote:

I have the iAudio U2 256MB and my girlfriend just got the Ipod Mini 6GB as a gift. The sound from the Ipod mini was step down from what I am used to on the U2, to tell you the truth. And the navigation on it is easy, even in my pocket. Very intuitive and yet customizable too.

The U2 is just really small and light. There is a big difference between these devices. If I'm jogging and I drop the U2, I just pic it up and keep on. Plastic or not, its so light that there isn't really anything to damage and there are no moving parts. Even a corner drop is basically water off a duck's back on somehting of this size/weight.

In contrast, I cant image what I'd say if I dropped a mini - the body will surely dent at that size and worse stil, its got a hard drive in it.

To be honest I can't think of any reason to get the mini other than capacity. And if 1GB is enough for you, the U2 comes in that size, with 2GB on the horizon.

I believe that Newegg.com is the one of the cheapest iAudio sources in the US. That's where i got mine

Apr 20, 2005 at 2:51 AM Post #24 of 29
Quote:

How durable is the G3? I just want to be able to shove it in my pocket and not worry about it. Thanks for all the input. Who has sells the U2 the cheapest?

The G3 is fairly durable but I would not drop it if possible. The body is plastic, but it has more weight than the U2 and the carrying case provides less shock absorbtion since it is just clear plastic. If you dropped it, there is a chance it could be damaged. As long as you are reasonably careful there is nothing to worry about. It can fit in a jacket pocket easily or in pants pockets (as long as they are not too snug).

Apr 22, 2005 at 12:02 PM Post #25 of 29
so I bought one. Have not had a chance to play with it, but hopefully in a few hrs when the wife nods off. Er she doesnt know yet. Saved some $ buying the 2Gb vs two players. But to be honest two players might be smarter. Redundancy and LONGER battery. Was a tough choice but savings and convenience went for the 2Gb. Need to get the wife one too, but guessing the Sony is more her style.

Apr 24, 2005 at 9:48 AM Post #26 of 29
I'm doubting between the G3 (1GB) and iRiver's 799. The G3 is €30-40 ($35-50) more expensive at this cheapest source. Would the G3 be worth the extra money? What are all the advantages and disadvantages of both?

Some 799 advantages/disadvantages in compare to the G3:
+ price (€165)
- only useable as UMS with UMS-firmware, which limits some functions
- battery; both are fine though
- output; 799 has 18mW and G3 has 2x13mW
- G3 is almost twice as small
- Doesn't support wav and asf, G3 does.

For now it's 50:50 to me, because lots of those disadvantages don't really matter to me... Can you guys add some things to this list?

Apr 24, 2005 at 10:19 AM Post #27 of 29
i'm too doubting between the two.. can anyone who has both players, tell us how much more louder/powerfull the IFP 799 is than the G3 ?? i mean the output (18mw vs. 13 mw). because i like it really loud, with my koss porta pros

Apr 24, 2005 at 12:29 PM Post #28 of 29
I thought the G3 had more output. 2x13 = 26..? Btw, I think they both are loud enough. I've read people saying the 799 can be set so loud you don't like it any more... I'd say that's loud enough
wink.gif
So they're both well, only the G3 is a bit better. That makes the choice so hard for me, they're 50:50; the 799's price, the G3's abilities...

Anyone who can give one of the two more advantage??

May 9, 2005 at 6:20 PM Post #29 of 29
Im wondering how many steps there are between turning the u2 on and the voice recorder capturing.

To put it another way, How fast can you start recording (does it start instantly when you push record? do you have to push more than one button?)

how are the 128 recordings?

thanks in advance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back