iPod Mini or Creative Zen Micro
Jan 18, 2005 at 9:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

suhasg

New Head-Fier
I know this topic must have been discussed in the past , still want some quick opinions about iPod mini v/s creative Zen micro.

After reading reviews and discussions on other forums I am getting more and more confused, which one to buy?

Over all people are praising Zen micro for:
1.Audio quality
2.Extra battery life (12 hours v/s Mini’s 8 hours)
3.Replaceable battery
4.More features (like FM, Voice recording)
5.Extra 1 G space etc.

So what you think? I must make a decision by this week end.

SUhas

Jan 18, 2005 at 10:29 PM Post #2 of 16
Well, as a Zen Micro owner, I'm extremely partial to it. The only thing I can say that would point you towards the Ipod Mini would be if you are an avid user of ITunes. Songs downloaded from ITunes won't work on the Zen Micro (or any other non-Apple product, for that matter).

Jan 18, 2005 at 10:30 PM Post #3 of 16
if your looking for a reason to buy the mini, there arnt too many. the only 2 are the user friendlyness which is equal after a weeks use(or less) of the micro and the support for itunes. itunes is a great program but it doesnt justify loosing all of the features sound quality, etc that you have already listed.

Jan 18, 2005 at 11:51 PM Post #4 of 16
Get a iPod. Join the Dark Side
very_evil_smiley.gif

but in all seriousness, get the Zen Micro. it has so many advantages over the Mini, as you have listed.

but if you're looking to get a amp and use it via line-out, its a whole different story....

Jan 19, 2005 at 12:06 AM Post #6 of 16
I own an ipod but now Im leaning toward zen micro if my ipod gets stolen. the zen micro resembles the ipod in many aspects. plus the bonus features, replacable battery, there is no doubt about how this little thing would compare to ipod..

BUT, I have already bought many ipod accessories and encoded my songs in AAC.. damn I have been tricked by apple's evil conspiracy.
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Jan 19, 2005 at 12:12 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by frankcent
I own an ipod but now Im leaning toward zen micro if my ipod gets stolen. the zen micro resembles the ipod in many aspects. plus the bonus features, replacable battery, there is no doubt about how this little thing would compare to ipod..

BUT, I have already bought many ipod accessories and encoded my songs in AAC.. damn I have been tricked by apple's evil conspiracy.
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

sorry to hear that, unfortuantly your one of millions
frown.gif
rolleyes.gif

Jan 19, 2005 at 1:53 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

haha youre not hoping for it to mysteriously disappear are you?
rolleyes.gif
, but, i have the same ambitions lol, i really really would love to own a zen micro. i mean, an extra battery? think of all the back up batts you could carry in your pocket LOL. nice storage size, FM radio. i love it!

Jan 19, 2005 at 3:30 AM Post #10 of 16
wow this is pretty overwhelming twards the micro, even the usually devout ipod mini owners are wishing they had the micro.... wierd. is this some kind of sick joke?
orphsmile.gif

Jan 19, 2005 at 3:59 AM Post #11 of 16
I gotta be honest--- I love my iPod. I don't use Itunes, and I never once thought about encoding in AAC (for obvious compatibility issues). The line out on it sounds great. The software it comes w/ sucks so I use Anapod (which is really nice).

That said... I HATE the iPod mini. For the price of it, how could someone not go w/ the 20gig at least and more likely the 40gig. I have more music and languages (9 Pimsleur Languages) than I could ever use in one sitting, but I've got everything loaded on it and I never have to worry rearranging things all the time all I do is charge it and I'm ready to go.

Jan 19, 2005 at 4:09 AM Post #12 of 16
I would say the only things going for the mini are the scroll wheel, the 'i've got an ipod' factor (though whether that's a good thing depends on the person), and the accessories. I really like the scroll wheel, and i was hesitant about the touchpad on the micro. I've had the micro for three days, and while I still might slightly prefer the wheel, I have quickly gotten used to the touchpad and actually like it a lot. The accessories on the ipods are unbeatable, though, since every company on the planet seems to make a case for it. I hope they make a good case for the micro, but until then, my altoids tin works pretty well. Also, my remote (for only $20) is in the mail.

That being said, the micro sounds far better in my opinion, and a user replaceable battery is enough reason on it's own to get it. I like the user interface slightly better on the micro, since it's basically a ripped off version of the mini, but made better. At first I didn't think the extra gig would matter to me, but i have 6 gigs of music, and I'm finding it very difficult to part with that gig. It turns out I really do like all my music. If i had to part with 2 gigs i would be having problems.

The two things that made the micro the obvious choice for me were the sound quality and the battery (and radio didnt hurt either). If these things were changed on the mini I would have considered it, but as of yet, they arent.

Jan 19, 2005 at 5:01 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyclone
wow this is pretty overwhelming twards the micro, even the usually devout ipod mini owners are wishing they had the micro.... wierd. is this some kind of sick joke?
orphsmile.gif

not exactly.. im a 4G owner.. by the way, all ipod accessories are evil and they suck your money out of your pocket like a oil pipe in the middle east. They are even more addictive than headphone gadgets. they are apparently cheaper and easy to find. once you have them, you might think you dont need them at all. I believe that not having too many accessories is also a good thing.. the choice has been made.. so, i dont deny im a big whiner..
rolleyes.gif

EDITED: if they have a 10GB version, I will kick my ipod out immediately as long as my budget allows, which is not possible since I just had my wallet emptied AGAIN.

Jan 19, 2005 at 6:09 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

not exactly.. im a 4G owner.. by the way, all ipod accessories are evil and they suck your money out of your pocket like a oil pipe in the middle east. They are even more addictive than headphone gadgets. they are apparently cheaper and easy to find. once you have them, you might think you dont need them at all. I believe that not having too many accessories is also a good thing.. the choice has been made.. so, i dont deny im a big whiner..
rolleyes.gif

EDITED: if they have a 10GB version, I will kick my ipod out immediately as long as my budget allows, which is not possible since I just had my wallet emptied AGAIN.

so what are you disagreeing with me on?
etysmile.gif

Jan 19, 2005 at 8:20 AM Post #15 of 16
The Zen Micro is much better than the iPod Mini. Go for the Micro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back