iPod Mini, Line out, portable amp, cf card mod?
Nov 9, 2008 at 8:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ben7337

100+ Head-Fier
okay, well that jumble of a title basically describes what I am thinking of. Having recently noticed that there are some fairly cheap portable amps out there that people seem to like, and seeing how small they are...I am considering modding an iPod mini once again with a CF card and rockboxing it to use flac files with it. However I have a few tiny little questions.

the iPod mini does have native line out right? so it will sound great with the right cable and a good portable amp right?

does the cable matter excessively? what cable should I get? what amp should i get, I was looking at the Fiio E5, looks uber tiny and cheap, will it be good enough to beat the ipod touch 2G or something like the cowon d2 in audio quality? will it be good enough to use my yuin ok3's to their fullest extent or even go beyond the details they can notice?

Lastly, how long would one expect the Fiio E5 battery to last? I know that it isn't out just yet, or at least I don't think it is, but when will it come out and what can be expected in battery life? is 18-24 hrs reasonable?

Thanks for all the help, I get the feeling a lot of these questions can be answered through a lot of forum searching, but idk if I could find it all and I certainly don't have the time right now to try and figure it all out which is why I am asking.

Nov 11, 2008 at 3:33 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

will it be good enough to use my yuin ok3's to their fullest extent or even go beyond the details they can notice?

the ok3's are the only decent things I have.

Nov 18, 2008 at 11:42 PM Post #4 of 4
yeah, i'm kinda curious about this too. i'm with you on this ben; i've currently already got a CF modded ipod mini, and am wondering what my best options are for the best sound quality from this thing. unlike you though, i was hoping to not have to amp it, but it looks like that's the only option. i have similar headphones as you too, PK3's instead of OK3's. Anyway, I'll be following this, hopefully others will chime in with their suggestions and thoughts.

it seems like you're already 100% for the amp, instead of just switching to a D2 or some other higher SQ rated DAP.

anyway, good luck and keep us posted with your decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back