Ipod mini flash card replacement question
Jul 10, 2008 at 7:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

michael viscera

New Head-Fier
Hi guys. I found out recently that the hard drive in the ipod minis (among others) can be replaced with a compact flash card which is great. But I have some questions about it for those of you who have done this.

Just about any compact flash card will work in the ipod mini?

For example, if I want to put one of those high speed cards will it work out or should I just stick with the traditional ones?

Being said that, I assume that all of the compact flash cards have the same interface right? So it wouldn't be a problem if I put a 16Gb card in the ipod mini?

Just want to be sure about it before I replace the factory hard drive.

By the way, the ipod mini that I have is a 2nd gen, 6gb one.

Thanks.

Jul 10, 2008 at 10:26 PM Post #2 of 4
Most will work. I haven't heard anyone having trouble with A-Data so that's one I would recommend. You don't need a high speed card unless you intend on changing the songs on the your ipod often. The read speed of the low speed card doesn't affect the performance of the ipod, but updating the songs on your ipod will be a little slow. For the price you're willing to pay you can get a 32Gb A-Data.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f15/my...d-mini-290743/
32GB
16GB

Jul 11, 2008 at 6:23 AM Post #3 of 4
Thanx man!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 12, 2008 at 1:02 AM Post #4 of 4
If I recall correctly, some compact flash cards don't support ide mode (sandisk may have disabled it so people wouldnt use CF to sata converters to make cheap (relatively speaking) ssds) it is best to go with previously tested flash cards, look for ones that are ide capable in order for them to work. You may want to look into it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back