iPod Mini CF Mod and Rockbox
Apr 29, 2008 at 5:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Hayduke

1000+ Head-Fier
I've had a few people ask me for a Rockbox bootloader that works on an iPod Mini with the CF card mod. Look here.

First, I better say if you mess up your iPod, hurt yourself, lose more hair, grow more hair, win the lottery, your dog dies, you lose your job, you get sued, or you get divorced because of trying this, it's not my fault :p

If you already know what to do, jump to the end and download the attachment.

If you aren't sure how to install Rockbox, I'll give a brief overview of how to do it with extra detail on what to do with these files.

Rockbox doesn't replace the Apple OS, they run side by side. You can control which one you boot into (on the Mini, slide the hold switch after rebooting).

First you need to get the latest build of Rockbox from this site (or click here)

Unzip it and you will see a folder named .rockbox

This is where Rockbox "lives". Just copy it to the root of your iPod. You did already get it connected to iTunes, right? (if not do that and come back, we will wait).

You also need to do the same thing with the fonts from this page.

Now there is only one more step, and this is where the file I'm attaching comes into play. You have to patch the bootloader. This is the little piece of code that your iPod reads when it first turns on that tells it how to start up.

The easy way to do this on an iPod is with a handy little tool called ipodpatcher.exe. You can download it with this link and read about it here.

The problem with the ipodpatcher you download, is there is a bootloader embedded into the .exe, but it's old. The current Rockbox build fixed the code to work with CF cards a long time ago, but the ipodpatcher.exe still has an old bootloader embedded. Luckily, you can tell ipodpatcher to use a different one. You just have to compile it yourself. Well I've done that part for you.

I've attached a file named bootloader-ipodmini2g.ipod
This is a bootloader for an iPod Mini 2nd gen ONLY!
To use it, put ipodpatcher.exe and bootloader-ipodmini2g.ipod into the same folder.
Open a DOS window and browse to the folder.
Now type this exactly:
ipodpatcher --add-bootloader (-a) bootloader-ipodmini2g.ipod

This will install the bootloader on your Mini. Now reboot our Mini (hold select and menu until it turns off) and it should go to Rockbox.

You will want to go here or here now and get a theme.

I'll try to help on this thread if you have trouble. I've been pretty busy lately so I haven't been checking head-fi daily, but I'll do my best
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 23, 2008 at 6:20 PM Post #2 of 2
Thank you so much for the booloader.

I searched Rockbox forum for it no hit then alot on google. after some work and a PM from you I found it
smily_headphones1.gif

THX

Why didnt I search this forum before all the time on rockbox forums and google LoL

I should know that all the knowledge is here ^^

/Erik

Users who are viewing this thread

Back