iPod mini announced
Jan 6, 2004 at 11:31 PM Post #91 of 257
IMO, Apple got the design perfect with the iPod. This minipod is just all wrong. It looks way too long. The screen, the rotato-button, and the color all clash with each other. Nothing seems to fit like it does on the real iPod.

Jan 6, 2004 at 11:37 PM Post #92 of 257
I am the only one who thinks it vaguely resembles a cell phone? Anyone know what color the backlight it?
tongue.gif

Jan 7, 2004 at 12:19 AM Post #94 of 257
Quote:

Originally posted by Deleted
IMO, Apple got the design perfect with the iPod. This minipod is just all wrong. It looks way too long. The screen, the rotato-button, and the color all clash with each other. Nothing seems to fit like it does on the real iPod.

oh good. i thought i was being petty when i thought it looked too long, but you're right. the ratio of the dimensions of the ipod are far more pleasing.

dave

Jan 7, 2004 at 12:28 AM Post #95 of 257
i thought the same thing too.

it just looks squished.

and about the cell phone thing. it looks just like one of the newer nokia phones, that has a big screen and scroll pad thing, and it come in similar colours.

i dont know which model number it is though

Jan 7, 2004 at 12:32 AM Post #96 of 257
Cars also look better in photos because they have lines, not just curves. Can't tell from the pictures but unlike the iPod which has a very distinct line contrasted from pearl white to chrome, this one just seems solid color all the way around.

Jan 7, 2004 at 12:43 AM Post #97 of 257
Quote:

Originally posted by rodbac
Trust me- if Apple finds their product is even remotely comparable to the E2Cs, they'll be priced nowhere near $40 (less than half the E2Cs?). Just wouldn't follow in the Apple tradition (and I say this as a longtime fan of Apple, holder of their stock, and owner of 2 Macs).

I beg to differ. I don't think the new mini-iPod looks like the E2C at all. Okay, it's rectangular, but the control's look different.

Jan 7, 2004 at 12:49 AM Post #98 of 257
Quote:

Originally posted by br0adband
What would have SOLD ME on this new iPodmini right this second would have been:

Removable AA battery.

Not enough juice to run the drives the way a rechargeable does. Think of some of the original digital camera's that took AA's or AAA's. They ran out within minutes of flashes whereas rechargeables could last much longer. You'd be replacing the things so often it would be ridiculous. Also, couldn't be molded into the case as well as they are now, increasing size dramatically.

Jan 7, 2004 at 12:50 AM Post #99 of 257
Am I the only one that saw this and thought: damn, I'm going to buy it now?

I think it looks great. It's smaller, not as prone to scratches anymore, and I really didn't need 20 gigs for my iPod. My iPod was getting a bit big in my pocket, and it was getting VERY scratched up, and along comes the miniIpod to solve my problems.

Frankly, all of Apple's products have always been too expensive. Same thing goes for their Powerbook and regular iPod line - it doesn't even compete in prices with the Zen, etc. but it still sells very very well. Apple will sell well with the miniipods too, and they'll probably drop in price in a half-year or so.

Jan 7, 2004 at 12:51 AM Post #100 of 257
Quote:

Originally posted by Dweebgal

and about the cell phone thing. it looks just like one of the newer nokia phones, that has a big screen and scroll pad thing, and it come in similar colours.

i dont know which model number it is though

Exactly what I was thinking! They kinda look like the Nokia 3650:

3650_hp.gif

Jan 7, 2004 at 12:52 AM Post #101 of 257
Quote:

Originally posted by Jazz1
I beg to differ. I don't think the new mini-iPod looks like the E2C at all. Okay, it's rectangular, but the control's look different.

?????????????

I believe he was referring to the new Apple phones in comparison to the e2c's...

Jan 7, 2004 at 12:53 AM Post #102 of 257
I'll be buying two of these (at an educational discount), one for each of my daughters. Why? Well I've put my foot down on Limewire, and I've given them an allowance at iTunes. The iTMS and iPod package is in my opinion a way to keep them honest.

One my daughters doesn't have an iPod, or any MP3 player, the other has my old 5 gig iPod. They really don't care about storage. 1,000 tunes will be enough. What they care about is the small size, and the colors.

I hate to admit it but the smaller size appeals to me, and I'm tempted myself. I'm reaching the limit on my 30 gig iPod, and I'm wondering if size doesn't matter within a reasonable storage range of 1,000 tunes or so for mobile use.

Rumors of a $100.00 iPod were just that. Maybe next year. In the meantime the mini-iPod looks great. Apple is marketing to a segement of the population that does not yet encompass those who want dirt cheap mobile music devices.

Jan 7, 2004 at 1:01 AM Post #104 of 257
Quote:

Originally posted by Jazz1
I'll be buying two of these (at an educational discount), one for each of my daughters. Why? Well I've put my foot down on Limewire, and I've given them an allowance at iTunes. The iTMS and iPod package is in my opinion a way to keep them honest.

One my daughters doesn't have an iPod, or any MP3 player, the other has my old 5 gig iPod. They really don't care about storage. 1,000 tunes will be enough. What they care about is the small size, and the colors.

Personally, I've stopped using Kazaa for anything other than music previews. I love buying my own albums and ripping them myself. Isn't $249 x 2 ( - discount) a bit much just to get your daughters to be honest? $500 buys a lot of albums ----

other than that though, the miniiPod looks great, and looks like something the female crowd would definitely love. Man, too many bills to take care of.

Shure E3c, mini iPod, GBA SP, better subwoofer amplifier
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back