iPod mini announced
Jan 6, 2004 at 10:23 PM Post #76 of 257
Quote:

Originally posted by EyEPoD
They didnt want people to only buy the mini ipod. With the 250 price tage it just adds another option.

See, I think $199 would fit much better into the line-up. The $50 difference is just too close.

And a 2gb $150 unit would really steal the show, without cutting into the standard iPod sales. The storage difference would be too great for one to steal from the other.

Jan 6, 2004 at 10:27 PM Post #77 of 257
Quote:

Originally posted by sno1man
The scroll wheel with buttons is really just on wheel than does move. Not in a circular fashion but N/S/E/W

deleted because stupid comment. haha

Jan 6, 2004 at 10:36 PM Post #78 of 257
Quote:

Originally posted by austonia
appple's going strong for the gay crowd with all those peachy colors

Well, Apple is embracing Metro-sexuality.

Smaller in every way, except the price. Still an overpriced POS with a non-userreplaceable battery.

Of course if Apple added Lossless compression and digital output, I'd be singing a different tune.

-Ed

Jan 6, 2004 at 10:40 PM Post #80 of 257
Quote:

Originally posted by sno1man

The apple guy said already that it is a problem getting them to photograph well and he wondered how the car guys do it.

It's called Photoshop.
rolleyes.gif

-Ed

Jan 6, 2004 at 10:44 PM Post #81 of 257
Quote:

Originally posted by Edwood
Well, Apple is embracing Metro-sexuality.

Smaller in every way, except the price. Still an overpriced POS with a non-userreplaceable battery.

Of course if Apple added Lossless compression and digital output, I'd be singing a different tune.

-Ed

HAHAH! Quote of the day!

Jan 6, 2004 at 10:45 PM Post #82 of 257
Quote:

Originally posted by davidtoc
Ah, but "pretty" sells. iPod users are well aware that there are players with "better" features and longer battery life, and yet they still shelled out for the iPod. Apple is just giving the people what they want. It's why they have 80% of the hard-drive mp3 player market. Can't argue with success.
smily_headphones1.gif

dave

its also very good marketing, and the fact that althoght the ipod is actually a very basic mp3 player when it comes down to it (not many bells and whistles) what it does do, it does very well.

Jan 6, 2004 at 10:46 PM Post #83 of 257
Cars are actually easier, they have a finish on the paint that helps to produce very nice and glossy reflections, and the base coat underneath that is matte, not an aluminum finish.

Reflective metallic surfaces are very, very hard to photograph, they produce very visible dark and light "bands" that's impossible to get rid of at any given angle. The pictures of the iPod mini on their site is probably a faux color they placed on top of the original photograph in Photoshop.

Jan 6, 2004 at 10:55 PM Post #84 of 257
Quote:

Originally posted by MikeM
No, its still a touch-wheel but you push on it to activate the buttons.

what i'm trying to figure out is whether you can you use the "wheel" like the current ipods. you know.. spin your thumb around the wheel and it scrolls through lists? from an earlier post it sounds like it works only as a 4-way D-pad..... but no one's making it very clear... well, what's the story??

Jan 6, 2004 at 10:55 PM Post #85 of 257
yes EDWOOD had it right. The scroll wheell buttons did feel very high quality. The arm band case was kind of cheesy though.

It still amazes me the Apple animosity on this and other boards. Apple does somethings quite well, like the ipods and some not so well like the Emac.

the other players have thier plusses and minuses as well. The Karma to me looks like some one took a player and squeezed it. Poor overall feel and mediore user interface. It sounds terrific though. I liked the Iriver except for the interface. It does sound very good and feels in your hand like a top tier product

By the way, it is already going around the show that Rio did not like being compared unfavorably at all to the Apple offering and was bitching loudly to whoever would listen. I bet Mac support for the rios' is not going to be too high a priority anymore.

And Photsohop has it's limits. there are certain things like that need the 3d view that you just cant photograph (or photoshop) easily

Jan 6, 2004 at 11:01 PM Post #86 of 257
Quote:

Originally posted by austonia
what i'm trying to figure out is whether you can you use the "wheel" like the current ipods. you know.. spin your thumb around the wheel and it scrolls through lists? from an earlier post it sounds like it works only as a 4-way D-pad..... but no one's making it very clear... well, what's the story??

You spin your finger around just like the other iPods. That is the same. The change is that the buttons are now within the scroll wheel. You push up, down, left, right for the buttons.

Jan 6, 2004 at 11:03 PM Post #87 of 257
Quote:

Originally posted by MikeM
You spin your finger around just like the other iPods. That is the same. The change is that the buttons are now within the scroll wheel. You push up, down, left, right for the buttons.

ah thank you. that makes a hella lot more sense than just a 4-way controller. i wonder if that config will make it to the bigger iPods in time...

Jan 6, 2004 at 11:10 PM Post #89 of 257
same here, i just dont like them, and they are that much smaller than the 3g, well not enought to make a huge differece IMO

Jan 6, 2004 at 11:30 PM Post #90 of 257
It is too large for me. My Nitrus has stopped sweating in fear of replacement now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back