iPod mini announced
Jan 6, 2004 at 8:27 PM Post #46 of 257
Quote:

Originally posted by scottder
My problem is the mini IS so close in price to the 15gig. would almost seem like a better deal if the 15gig was more expensive. Oh well, we'll see how it pans out. I still don't see then selling a lot of them.

Scott

really?? i'm betting those lime-green ones are going to be hard to keep in stock. didn't everyone love that color back in 1972? well, I've been missing it. I'll buy 5.

Jan 6, 2004 at 8:27 PM Post #47 of 257
Quote:

Originally posted by austonia
i say apple stole the design from e.Digital MXP-100!!

see for yourself!

http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/...buymxp100.html

biggrin.gif

Except the MXP-100 has better battery life!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 6, 2004 at 8:30 PM Post #49 of 257
I'm miffed because I just got a 10 GB iPod a week ago and now they have a 15 GB one out for the same price
tongue.gif

And yeah, those colors really suck. I'm betting the new earphones are somewhere around EX70 or EX71 quality.

Jan 6, 2004 at 8:31 PM Post #50 of 257
If Apple forces retailers to order/carry each color (as I believe they did with the initial iMacs), expect stores to be a little pissed.

Jan 6, 2004 at 8:34 PM Post #51 of 257
Targeting young female users? I'm a teenage girl and I personally find the look of the mini iPod very disappointing. The colors basically reflect what was already out there for the older iPods with a skin like these:

http://www.welovemacs.com/ipodskincovers.html

or the many other brands. I must remember to ask my other fellow teenage girls what they think about it. I'm just bracing myself for the immediate media frenzy screaming how wonderful the new iPod is.

How strange that my old iPod died only a few days ago...

Jan 6, 2004 at 8:34 PM Post #52 of 257
What would be great would be an Ipod mini, but instead of shrinking it, just putting a drive which has less capacity.
They could have lowered the production price of all the Ipods if they had done that, because they'd be buying more parts and the percentage of failure out of the line would be less than the new mini Ipods because they had time to improve they production line.
God knows that they would still get some people that like the old school style.
It'd be a lot cheaper that these new ones...

Jan 6, 2004 at 8:34 PM Post #53 of 257
Quote:

Originally posted by Rizumu
I'm miffed because I just got a 10 GB iPod a week ago and now they have a 15 GB one out for the same price
tongue.gif

you're miffed, and i was amused. I already have a 15 gb ipod and it was funny to see them announce this 15GB as "new".

My understanding is that the reason they originally dropped the 15gb iPod was that it was too close in size to the 20gb model. So my guess is that we'll see them bump up the 20 to 25 or 30GB and the 40 to 50 or 60GB sometime in the coming months.

Now if they can just improve the battery life...

dave

Jan 6, 2004 at 8:39 PM Post #55 of 257
Did anyone notice how the battery life of the new iPodmini is listed as the same old 8 hours?

I mean god, can't they spend some time and money researching longer life batteries instead of making it *prettier*?

Maybe it's just me, but I'll stick with my iPAQ and it's 20+ hours of playback and more formats than I can shake a stick at... and the games... and the movies... and and and... AND THEN!!!

biggrin.gif

br0adband

Jan 6, 2004 at 8:43 PM Post #57 of 257
Quote:

Originally posted by blessingx
To get a better feel, first non-Apple photos here.

The colors [and minis in general] look better in these photos than those on the Apple site...

Jan 6, 2004 at 8:47 PM Post #58 of 257
Initially like everyone else I was a bit put off by the announcement. Mainly the price seemed a bit high, almost excessively so because our expectations were for something much more budget minded, but after thinking about it and seeing that the new 4 gig Nitrus is priced about the same and the 4 gig Muvo is actually $50 more "on sale" the pricing actually seems reasonable, even competitive. Would I buy one for that price? Probably not, my preference would be for more HD capacity but if I could have had a 4 gig model for $150 - 200 I would have been very tempted to buy one as an interim solution, save some cash and see how the market pans out over the next year or so.

As far as the looks go I think the colors are awful but check out the QuicktimeVR of the silver version, it's actually not to bad in my book, maybe even more attractive than the iPod itself but I would have to see the two side by side to really make that call.

Jan 6, 2004 at 8:52 PM Post #60 of 257
Quote:

Originally posted by elnero
Initially like everyone else I was a bit put off by the announcement. Mainly the price seemed a bit high, almost excessively so because our expectations were for something much more budget minded, but after thinking about it and seeing that the new 4 gig Nitrus is priced about the same and the 4 gig Muvo is actually $50 more "on sale" the pricing actually seems reasonable, even competitive. Would I buy one for that price? Probably not, my preference would be for more HD capacity but if I could have had a 4 gig model for $150 - 200 I would have been very tempted to buy one as an interim solution, save some cash and see how the market pans out over the next year or so.

As far as the looks go I think the colors are awful but check out the QuicktimeVR of the silver version, it's actually not to bad in my book, maybe even more attractive than the iPod itself but I would have to see the two side by side to really make that call.

as far as pricing goes....

the Muvo2 (4gb) went on sale as weeks ago.... Apple's isn't ready till February. it's all about timing. Creative was first to market, but the price will drop.

the Nitrus (4gb) may retail for $250, but unlike Apple, you can get them for significant discounts online... just watch www.compuplus.com
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back