iPod mini announced
Jan 6, 2004 at 7:19 PM Post #17 of 257
Overall, I think it's a pretty nice product.
The click scroll wheel looks pretty nice.

But the price and 8 hrs of battery life doom it for me.

Yeah and Jobs should have been comparing to the Nitrus.

Jan 6, 2004 at 7:24 PM Post #20 of 257
better colors and a better price tag ($199) and this COULD have been a killer. Oh well...I'm sticking with my Zen Xtra for the forseeable future.

Scott

Jan 6, 2004 at 7:28 PM Post #21 of 257
Arguably they may be going for the young female market, which is pretty untapped at this point.

And although the Nitrus is more similar in specs, he's at least right that many (including Rios) 128/256mb players are at that price range. There are a lot more of those than the two models in question - Nitrus and new MuVo. He didn't say the best of our competition. Typical salesmanship. Like the AAC support (or Vorbis if competition had that) and the aluminum casing is nice (if not the color). Battery life should have been better (surely they've heard the complaints). Wish the price was at least $199 though. Was really hoping for a much lower priced player. As others have said, this is too close to the 15GB price now for many, and certainly not low end.

As with its big brother, holding it may have a lot to do with the experience. We'll see. Was a bit anti-climatic, that's for sure.

Jan 6, 2004 at 7:29 PM Post #22 of 257
They shall destroy the competition with there new headphones which destroy all "rebel" Mp3 players
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 6, 2004 at 7:34 PM Post #24 of 257
Quote:

Originally posted by insomniac
Yeah and Jobs should have been comparing to the Nitrus.

the Nitrus is cheaper.... longer battery life... IT's BEEN OUT FOR MONTHS.... Better looking.... comes in non-gay color....

Jan 6, 2004 at 7:35 PM Post #25 of 257
Quote:

Originally posted by davei Even worse when you think that the original 5GB was $299.

For the record it was $399 when it came out (same price at the time as the retail of the drive inside).

Jan 6, 2004 at 7:37 PM Post #26 of 257
Quote:

Originally posted by austonia
the Nitrus is cheaper.... longer battery life... IT's BEEN OUT FOR MONTHS.... Better looking.... comes in non-gay color....

More a metrosexual color scheme, no?
smily_headphones1.gif

Like someone else said, maybe targeting more female users.

Scott

Jan 6, 2004 at 7:39 PM Post #28 of 257
still 8 hrs battery life. So if the new iPod mini looks gay then its big brother (or sister) also looks gay-ish? $249 w/out accessories, no dock no remote, just the belt clip.

Jan 6, 2004 at 7:41 PM Post #29 of 257
You can always get the silver color one... and the aluminum finish doesn't photograph well.. that's for sure. It probably looks a lot better in real life than it does in pictures.

When I do product shots, aluminum finish often needs a lot of photoshopping to make them look presentable, otherwise the reflection and other things is just hard to deal with.

I don't think iPod Mini is necessarily bad compared to the other MP3 players in its class, it still has the simplicity (UI) and design that's far better than other players in its range.

The problem is, it's not a big step forward, it simply brings out a player that's just like the Nitrus... that's not going to capture the market as much as if they just lowered the price by $50. Oh wellz.

Typical for Apple to deliver "just enough" and not blowing anything away for reals....

Jan 6, 2004 at 7:41 PM Post #30 of 257
yes $399, i was one of the early buyers of the original 5GB iPod.

anyway, it seems apple seems to be targeting a sportier audience, with the new armband and finally the anodized aluminum shell that should be more resistant to scratching. i hope the next-gen full sized ipods have anodized aluminum shells as well. i have to see one in person because i dont think that picture that was just posted reflect what those units look like in real life.

also $249 does not even come with a remote or dock (which is optional).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back