Ipod Mini & 3G Ipod Can Share Same Computer?
May 29, 2004 at 6:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

vranswer

1000+ Head-Fier
I have two minis now but with Apple Lossless file sizes was considering 15 GB regular Ipod. Just wondering if there were any compatibility issues with using both the mini and regular Ipod off same PC.

May 29, 2004 at 7:43 AM Post #3 of 17
So I wouldn't have to go through the installation process again? Just plug in the 3G Ipod and away we go? Knowing how people were having trouble with using the new minis (after already running Ipods on their systems), I thought there could be problems going the other way.

May 29, 2004 at 8:25 AM Post #5 of 17
Well, I guess it's the software (firmware) that gets installed by the CD that comes with the Ipod. I just recall reading a lot of posts on Ipodlounge about problems people were having. I don't believe they just "plugged and played" the mini but had to install it with the CD. Again, it was people who already had a 3G Ipod with Itunes on their PC. When I bought my mini I didn't have Itunes so all had to be installed and I experienced no difficulties. The dang Apple Lossless has me spoiled, and I've run up against a brick wall as far as storage capacity on the mini.

May 29, 2004 at 9:56 AM Post #6 of 17
Do you hold your entire music collection on your mini-iPod? WOW, you should buy more music if that's the case. There's no way I'll be able to do that even with 40G iPod. Your solution might be to refresh the songs on your mini-iPod like once a week.

May 29, 2004 at 2:35 PM Post #7 of 17
Use Smartlists. I use the Mini and 40gb iPod on the same PC. For my use, I alternatve between manually updating what I want to hear and a 2Gb random (subject to certain criteria) Smartlist on the Mini, and have Smartlists for the iPod to load a random (ditto) selection for me.

May 30, 2004 at 12:59 PM Post #8 of 17
Bangraman,

You had no trouble adding the second device after already installing the first? Was it just plug, play and go?

May 30, 2004 at 2:35 PM Post #10 of 17
Cool. Mine may be a little more complicated only in that I'd be installing an older device, no doubt with older software in the box. It's probably been sitting on the Best Buy shelf since well before my minIpod was produced. Wondering if I should just charge the 3G Ipod and plug it in and see what happens, since I have the latest software upgrades (including AL, etc.) What do you think?

May 30, 2004 at 3:43 PM Post #11 of 17
You shouldn't buy any iPod which has been sitting on the shelves for more than a year. Battery age starts ticking the moment it comes out of the production line and basically your new iPod will have similar degraded battery life as other year old iPods.

May 30, 2004 at 3:56 PM Post #12 of 17
Gort,
Excellent post! An issue I had not even considered. Is it not true then, that potentially any 3G Ipod could be about a year old on the shelf of a retailer such as Best Buy? I wonder if there's any way to tell - serial numbers or something.

May 31, 2004 at 5:13 AM Post #14 of 17
doesn't the ipod come with a one-year warranty? starts from the date of purchase, not the date it hits the shelf, i believe. i wouldn't worry, as long as it's new and you register it at the apple site. i now have both a 3g 40bgb ipod and a mini - even have some albums ripped twice - once at 192kb/s or less for the mini and once at 320kb/s for the 40gb. both ipods sync beautifully based on separate selection lists.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back