ipod, low leakage, must be able to hear the phone ring
Jun 16, 2008 at 9:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

zakb01

New Head-Fier
Hello

I'm looking for headphones for use in a small open plan office. I would like to have minimal leakage, but I must be able to hear the telephone ring! Input is iPod.

I have been using some PMX200's, but the only way I can get a good fit hurts my ears after an hour or two. I don't listen particularly loudly, as I really should concentrate on work
tongue.gif
and I don't want to inflict leaky tinny sound on others in the office, I would say with the PMX200's I've been listening at about 10%-15% volume on the iPod.

At first I thought I wanted some closed phones, but based on some comments/reviews I've read here I'm concerned that I won't be able to hear the phone or my colleagues trying to attract my attention without waving!

I dug out my Sennheiser HD570's from a drawer and tried them with the iPod. I was pleasantly surprised, I'd forgotten how good they are. I think they may show up the (lack of) quality of some of my AACs - but I think the iPod struggles to drive them also, probably need at least twice the volume level of the PMX200s = shorter battery life. The 570's are also a bit big but maybe I could live with that.

I've been thinking of the Denon D1000/1 - other posts say they are not great for isolation, presumably that means I will hear the telephone, and presumably, being 32 ohm, the iPod will drive them better? Any other suggestions, say £100 approx max, not in-ear, no/low leakage at low volumes, must be able to hear the phone
wink.gif
, Rock/Alternative/Indie mainly.

Jun 16, 2008 at 10:00 PM Post #3 of 8
Hi Scott, thanks for replying and for the suggestions. I confess I'm not keen on in-ear. Based on my experiences with PMX200, I'm not interested in going down the clip onto ear route either, if possible.

Jun 17, 2008 at 9:29 AM Post #8 of 8
Ok, summary so far:
  1. Grado SR-60 - I've read that these have really bad leakage - is this going to be a problem at the low volume levels I typically listen at?
  2. Denon D1000 - confirmed by filipelli that they have isolation but I should hear the phone ring - this matches somewhat what I've read in reviews
  3. Koss PortaPro
  4. PX100
  5. CMoy amp with existing HD570 - interesting option - the HD570's actually belong to my wife, not sure how she'd feel about me taking them to work. Maybe this is a viable option for listening at home

The Koss and PX100 would be the more portable option, but this isn't a huge priority for me as this is not for walking down the street.

So, it's looking like either the Grado or the Denon, with the CMoy + HD570 an option for home listening. I'm not averse to picking up the soldering iron and making a CMoy.

Any further comments or suggestions welcome...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back