iPod lovers, iTunes haters, here's something for you ;)
Apr 9, 2006 at 2:49 AM Post #46 of 74
Anyone who calls iTunes bare of functionality hasn't tapped into the power of smart playlists. No other MP3 software compares.

See ya
Steve

Apr 9, 2006 at 1:22 PM Post #48 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Feclar
Mediamonkey
www.mediamonkey.com
Hands down best organizer I have been able to find.

Favorite things about it are
-Modify multiple songs tags at the same time (artist/album type stuff)
-Auto file/folder nameing/organization, lets you setup the path/file syntax and everything, awsome for those of us pre-ipod people that used to organize it all by hand.
-auto tag from amazon
-auto tag from filename
-supports winamp plugins

Cons
-player doesnt support video, audio only

Here's another vote for MediaMonkey... extremely fully featured (with a scripting language so users can add functionality, and there is a large library of useful scripts), full ID3 tag editing, great album art manipulation, Winamp plug-ins, playlist import/export/backup and conversion to and from M3U format, and I could go on. And it's free... no reason not to give it a try. There is a bit of a learning curve... but it's worth it.

Apr 10, 2006 at 8:27 AM Post #49 of 74
I love MediaMonkey. The only problem I've had with it is lately it doesn't want to send all of my songs to my ipod. Some of the songs it sends as videos. If I remember correctly Ephpod did the same thing.

Apr 11, 2006 at 9:35 AM Post #50 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by idiotekniQues
ahhh. good ol fashioned pure file tree management.

so fresh and so clean clean

that's how I started out and that's how I was planning to stay. Then I was given a Shuffle as a gift, so on goes iTunes. "No problem", I think. "I will only use iTunes to put music on the Shuffle. I will keep my beautiful mp3 directory structure and keep using Winamp on the PC."

But once I started using iTunes and figuring out how to customize it to do what I wanted, I was hooked (i turned off the store, for one thing). Easy to use as a hammer, I've never had to struggle to get it to do anything. That's how software should be. Period. I don't even buy music from iTunes, it's just so damn good and easy as PC jukebox software. *Very* slightly slow upon startup, but other than that it is a perfectly designed piece of software. Makes managing 3000 tracks very, very, very easy. Import another CD? Just pop it in. (play with the mp3/AAC/bitrate selection to your heart's content). The SEARCH function alone is a godsend. My mp3 file directory is now a jumbled unusable mess (with some stuff now in the iTunes folder instead) and I don't care.... all the management happens in iTunes.

If you're staying away from iTunes out of mistrust or fear, give it a try. You might be surprised.

Apr 11, 2006 at 3:04 PM Post #51 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by solvexyz
One thing I hate itune is that it auto sync. Say you went to friend's house, and you mysteriously hooked up your ipod to your friends computer, and it happens to have itune installed. Boom, right away all your music is sync to your friend's library. That is just how brilliant itune is.

You don't need a mysterious reason to hook up an ipod to your friends computer. I sometimes am at a friends house an my ipod battery needs to be charged and his handy pc is right there with a usb cable and all and he doesn't use his outlet plug at all so he doesn't know where it is.... Oh well looks like a can't charge my ipod with out a risking a harddrive wipe.

Apr 11, 2006 at 3:06 PM Post #52 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot
Anyone who calls iTunes bare of functionality hasn't tapped into the power of smart playlists. No other MP3 software compares.

See ya
Steve

What if you only listen to albums?

Jan 30, 2007 at 3:46 AM Post #53 of 74
Mediamonkey:
Can it copy songs from ipod to pc?
IpodRip:
When copying songs from ipod to pc, are all filenames and tags preserved?
Anapod:
To those who have had problems, what were they?

Finally, is there a program that does it all and has the least amount of bugs, etc...

Jan 31, 2007 at 3:23 PM Post #55 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mediamonkey:
Can it copy songs from ipod to pc?

Yes it can, but it doesn't take information from the id3 tags and rename the files from the cryptic iPod DFGE.mp3 style, or for that matter put them automatically into folders. To do this you need Yamipod or similar.

Jan 31, 2007 at 7:24 PM Post #56 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by solvexyz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One thing I hate itune is that it auto sync. Say you went to friend's house, and you mysteriously hooked up your ipod to your friends computer, and it happens to have itune installed. Boom, right away all your music is sync to your friend's library. That is just how brilliant itune is.

This doesn't actually happen, if you attach your iPod to another PC and have the iPod setup to auto sync (like I do) pre iTunes v7 it would ask you if you want to switch your library before syncing, post iTunes v7 it won't sync (and won't ask you anything) unless you actually right click the iPod and select sync (it may then ask you to confirm if you want to sync with a new library...I'm not willing to test this from work tho)
smily_headphones1.gif

I just connected my iPod (which is sync'd to my desktop) to my laptop to confirm this behavior step for step, it connected to the laptop, the options are still setup to auto sync, but no syncing occured.

I used to use J River Media Center, but switched to iTunes when it was released for PC and havn't looked back, I just use Tag&Rename for any mass tagging that needs to be done. I don't see how iTunes could be any easier to use, its not the best tagging program...but that's what tagging programs are for
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 1, 2007 at 2:36 AM Post #57 of 74
Hmm so yamipod is the way to go if I want to copy songs to my pc? Ive heard stories that it just stops working correctly occasionally. I wonder if this has been fixed in the latest version. My ipods coming tommorrow and I'm arming myself for these problems. I'm looking for the best software for it. I already have itunes and mediamonkey installed and have yamipod in a zipped folder waiting to be used. Should I have anything else???

Feb 1, 2007 at 4:29 AM Post #58 of 74
i've used mediamonkey for several player for over a year. i think it's the best for the money (free). i also 'bought' the Gold Version, which is awesome as well.

though I'm tempted to try out Foobar.

Feb 2, 2007 at 6:27 AM Post #60 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalcat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And it constantly lures you to the itune store, which is not a good thing for me!
redface.gif

Edit->Preferences->Parental Control->Disable iTunes Store

Users who are viewing this thread

Back