ipod LOD
Feb 20, 2009 at 12:20 PM Post #16 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by jweather /img/forum/go_quote.gif
excuse me for being a newb, but by lossless source you mean something that can play lossless audio? I have a 5g ipod video 30g, a 3g nano and a 1st gen touch, I hope one of them will play lossless. What are you using to convert the files and if I convert the file (esp the lower kbps) will I gain anything?

thanks in advance.

yes your players all of them, will support ALAC (Apple Lossless Audio Codec) you can convert using itunes, but no; you wont gain anything but less space on your player/HD by converting a lossy codec to lossless. you cant create something out of nothing

mp3 (or whatever lossy algorithm you are using) by its nature removes some data that it considers to be extraneous given the variables you give it ie. 128kbs this data is lost. lossless on the other hand AFAIK saves space by simply compressing the intact file without removing any data and then your DAP uncompresses it on the fly. thats one of the reasons that lossless uses more battery, as well as the fact that the drive has to do more work

Feb 20, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #17 of 18
jweather, just like qusp suggested you can use apple lossless but you need to get encoded from the original source, the CD you bought. I would suggest using a better encoder program. My choice is dBpoweramp. Using iTunes to rip doesn't work well. In my personal experience you find chips and blips and other even more annoying artifacts. AAC files use a bit more space than Mp3s but they have a better algorithm than Mp3s. Kinda like 128kbps AAC compared to a 164kbps Mp3. I don't think many could tell a SQ difference between a high quality and kbps mp3/AAC to that of a lossless file on these portable devices. So save to save alot of space and get more music at same SQ quality (in real use) I would suggest not using lossless. But do keep lossless on your harddrive for your home rig. If your going unamplified, make sure your using lower ohm headphones like the in-ur-ear quality stuff or more portable on ur ear portable headphones like Koss portapro or lower end Grado's. A good amp is a plus too, and very important with more demanding headphones. Guess this all depends on how portable you want to be. If your out running or biking with your music better get something like the Portapro's so you can hear the traffic around you. Torrent sites are very questionable for quality and good encoding. Remember junk in junk out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back