Ipod lod still goes through amp???
Oct 1, 2011 at 2:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

3rdhalf

Head-Fier
I've got a 80 gig classic and today was playing with the eq and noticed it still affects the sound on the line out. I thought the point of getting a lo adapter was to bypass the amp completely? Or is this bypassing the amp still but still being filtered by the eq? I was under the impression this was just a pure signal source.

Oct 2, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #3 of 6

Quote:
I've got a 80 gig classic and today was playing with the eq and noticed it still affects the sound on the line out. I thought the point of getting a lo adapter was to bypass the amp completely? Or is this bypassing the amp still but still being filtered by the eq? I was under the impression this was just a pure signal source.

If it were a pure digital source, whatever is receiving the LOD's output would need a DAC. All using a LOD does is bypass the iPod's amp - it still has to go through the iPod's DAC.

Oct 3, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #5 of 6
the EQ is just part of the digital filter, it IS purely digital; in this case the dac and the EQ (and probably volume control) are part of one and the same process, with EQ probably handled by the mcu/digital filter and yes before the dac stage.

so no Flatnine, I think you misunderstood what was being said and your explanation doesnt make a lot of sense in this scenario imo

Oct 3, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #6 of 6
also I think it needs to be said and people seem to need reminding every now and then, that amping with regard to volume is not an additive process, in the vast majority of situations the amplifier has a set voltage gain that does not change with volume control, the volume control attenuates the full scale signal, full volume is simply the point where there is no attenuation of the input signal, even analogue volume controls are usually at the input of an amp with the signal gain already in place and completely unaffected by the volume setting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back