Ipod Lod, some quick questions....
Apr 10, 2010 at 5:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

superwario89

Head-Fier
Hi all

I've been doing my searching and reading, and this is what i've gathered so far for Ipod LODs

lods that are copper will have more base, where as silver ones will give a brighter more analytical sound. however the pure copper ones are not that flexible, and that is a concern since i'm mostly portable. i've also seen different types of 3.5mm jacks (SWITCHCRAFT, NEUTRIK, CANARE, PAILICCS, VIABLUE AUDIO) and from what i've read, they mostly all sound the same.

i've also seen some lods on ebay, and i was told that a member here on head-fi (stevenkelby) is also very good at making a lod

however, i'm still a little confused because i keep seeing things like cryo, and alo.

so what i need help with is this: [size=medium]What kind of LOD would you suggest based on my equipment (see signature) and based on that i listen mostly to alternative/hard rock with a small amount of hip-hop/R&B?[/size] please be as specific as possible about the materials that i should use, aka what types of wires and jack..

my spending limit is 42 bucks, thats all i left right now ha... (being in college sucks sometimes....) so if i can get one built for that price, then thats what i would do, otherwise i'm going to need to buy something online i guess..

thank you all for the help!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 12, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #3 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by momomo6789 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
its a 3 inch piece of wire buy what ever you think looks best
smily_headphones1.gif

is that really all there is to it, because i was wondering why some are only like 25 dollars, and others are 200... it must be something?

Apr 12, 2010 at 4:36 AM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by superwario89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is that really all there is to it, because i was wondering why some are only like 25 dollars, and others are 200... it must be something?

Yes. Greed.

Though theoretically a more expensive cable will be more attractive, better built, and transfer the signal with less distortion. Whether or not any of it is true depends on the company, and how easy your brain is to fool. You hear a difference, cool. You don't, save your money.

Apr 12, 2010 at 4:42 AM Post #7 of 22
just remember... youre buying a cable for an ipod, not for a $1000+ dollar amp or dac or some other pristine piece of gear

even IF cables etc. do make a difference in this regard, you can only squeeze so much out of an ipod to begin with, no matter how good the cable is.

Apr 12, 2010 at 4:47 AM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Br777 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
even IF cables etc. do make a difference in this regard, you can only squeeze so much out of an ipod to begin with, no matter how good the cable is.

true, but when you have no other upgrade options left. cables are way to go.

Apr 12, 2010 at 4:50 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Br777 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just remember... youre buying a cable for an ipod, not for a $1000+ dollar amp or dac or some other pristine piece of gear

+ >9000

AMEN! Even if they did make a diff... it's a friggen iPod. Get the cheapest one you can with quality parts (so it doesn't break)... it is NOT worth getting an expensive one... save the cash and buy an amp or music...

$$$ LOD are for suckers no matter how good your portable set up is, as you are still using an iPod as a source. Justification = 0. The fact that people can't tell the difference in uber-high-end set ups, and if they can, it is not repeatable, really goes to show that it is just a blatant waste of cash with an iPod... but alas DBT is a forbidden topic here.

To those with $$$ LOD, I accept free money via paypal. I will even pay the fee!
PM me if interested.

Apr 12, 2010 at 5:03 AM Post #11 of 22
id buy a wagon, a few car batteries and a monkey so i could wire up, strap in my amp, dac and computer and teach my monkey to haul it around while I listened with my giant cans before i bought an LOD or expensive cables any day
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Apr 12, 2010 at 9:10 AM Post #13 of 22
I've build docks for fuze/ipods for my local community..
I charge $25 usd for the LOD with a 3.5mm Plug.

The reason being that you can terminate your own 3.5 to 3.5 IC or interchange and upgrade later on.

LOD by itself is cheap and doesn't do much with the sound - unless its crappy, bad termination.

The coloration comes with IC itself.

Apr 12, 2010 at 3:38 PM Post #14 of 22
thank you everyone for the help. looks like i'm just going to start with a cheap cable and see how that turns out
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 12, 2010 at 7:59 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by nycdoi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i take an ipod with line out over double-amping a sony or a clip+ any day.

The LOD itself is a great idea. Overly costly ones are dumb. That was my point.

Also, when no other upgrades are left, that means you are done ^__________^... IE you "won" the portable game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back