Ipod LOD question
Oct 19, 2008 at 6:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Duffy1207

100+ Head-Fier
I've got an ipod video 5.5g 30GB.

The other week, it started only playing music out of one headphone through the standard headphone jack. I diagnosed the problem as the headphone jack, and have been quoted £40 to replace it.

My question is would getting a LOD and a small/cheap amp like a fiio solve the probelm and be any good? Can you even use a Fiio with a LOD?

This maybe should be in the portable amp section....

Oct 20, 2008 at 12:01 AM Post #2 of 12
Yes, using the line level output of your ipod is a way around a broken headphone jack. Most portable amps have a line level input and volume control that is suitable for use with an ipod and LOD. The Fiio amp you mention is an exception as it does not have it's own volume control, so it must be fed via a volume controlled output (such as the headphone jack of an ipod). The line level signal you get from a LOD is not volume controlled, so you would not be able to use the Fiio in this manner.

Hope that helps!

Oct 20, 2008 at 9:08 AM Post #3 of 12
So I'd have to use the fiio out of the headphone jack?

Are there any cheap amps like the fiio I could use out of the LOD to by-pass the headphone jack?

Note "cheap" because the reason i was considering an fiio was because I thought You could use them with a lod. This would end up costing near enough the same as replacing the headphone jack but with the added bonus of slightly better sound quality.

Must be small because pocket space is already limited with phone iPod and wallet.

Anyone know if the upcoming fiio e5 would work, as this has its own volume control? Any other small amps to consider?

Oct 20, 2008 at 10:15 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

So I'd have to use the fiio out of the headphone jack?

You can, but you said you're having issues with your headphone jack. Besides, the quality of audio is superior coming out from the Line Out.

Quote:

Are there any cheap amps like the fiio I could use out of the LOD to by-pass the headphone jack?

There are many, many. I've not used the fiio, but lots of people are and enjoying it greatly. when you use the LOD you are bypassing the entire ipod headphone amp which isn't very good in the first place.

Quote:

Note "cheap" because the reason i was considering an fiio was because I thought You could use them with a lod. This would end up costing near enough the same as replacing the headphone jack but with the added bonus of slightly better sound quality.

You're absolutely 100% correct. A nice amp will be an improvement over listening to your ipod via headphone jack. I'm absolutely amazed at the range of sound, the level of crosstalk between the left and right channels and the absolutely improvement my supermacro 3 gives my Livewires.

Quote:

Anyone know if the upcoming fiio e5 would work, as this has its own volume control? Any other small amps to consider?

i'm not sure about the new or the current. There are many amps, the limit is up to how much you want to spend. Check the For Sale/trade section here. Check out the amps forums. Watch Ebay.

and incidentally, I'm not sure what 'phones you're using. And if your phones are really your limiting link in your audio chain, then that might be the next thing to consider once you get your source and amp straightened out.

Oct 20, 2008 at 12:53 PM Post #5 of 12
the thing is, i'm not in the amp market as such, the only reason i was considering it was to be able to use my ipod again with two headphones with slightly better sound quality for around the same price as replacing the headphone jack.

I'm not after a big expensive amp to lug around for perfect sound quality, although it would be nice later on when i get better headphones. I have some audio technica ck7, which i like the sound of straight from my ipod or the n95 i'm using atm. They sound quite neutral, the bass is there in both quality and quantity and the high's are detailed, if a little bright.

I wouldn't bother with an expensive amp with these headphones.

I think i'll nick some quotes from this thread and post a new one in the portable amps section, we're talking just amps now.

Any further help would be good, carry on posting in here and i'll sort the new thread when i get home.

Oct 20, 2008 at 3:21 PM Post #7 of 12
please, don't think i'm trying to steer you one way or another. I'm not.

The way i'm understanding your situation is:

Fix your ipod, $80. (SWAG Currency rates. Nothing meant or implied.)

or

Buy Fiio amp from Ebay, $11 (average price, Don't know the seller, just an example. White Fiio on Ebay

Shipping $2 (Free shipping, but opting for $2 insurance)

Buy IPOD LOD from Ebay. $12 (have bought one. Sounds great. Don't know seller or anything more than that. Ipod LOD White

Shipping $5.50 (using above sellers rates)

3.5mm Male Stereo plug to 3.5mm Male Stereo plug. Included with Fiio amp in the auction referenced above.

Total cost to you, $30.50 (Unless my public education has failed me again)

That is less than 1/2 of your repair costs!

BUT

The fiio (correct me if I'm wrong. I don't have one, so i'm only speculating.) does NOT have a volume control. This is a major hurdle that you should take into consideration because the ipod Line Out doesn't have a volume control either. Fiio E3

Oct 20, 2008 at 5:53 PM Post #8 of 12
Pretty much, but not having a volume control would kill me. Any ways around this, serperate volume adjuster plugged into headphones maybe? Any solutions?

Also, generaly electronics are more expensive in the UK, more like $20 min for fiio, and probably a bit more for the LOD too.

Oct 20, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #9 of 12
Shure makes an inline volume attenuator. This will only lessen the level of sound, not give it any amplification. Shure Attachable Volume Control

Placing a WTB (wanting to buy) post in the classified section of headfi might be the best way to go. I'm sure (shure?) the price will be significantly cheaper than buying from a shure authorized reseller.

Also, you could prowl Ebay.

anymore, i've found ebay to have most things that local, brick and motor retailers refuse to stock these days.

Your situation is exactly what I'm referring to. Recently the only place I saw that stocked an ipod Linout Adapter to 3.5m stereo plug was a Tiger Direct outlet shop in Orland Park, IL. Saw it couple months ago. Needed it a couple weeks ago and they novlonger stocked the item. I've never seen the Fiio available retail here, including Fry's and Best Buys.

The only thing that hits you is the shipping charges.

Incidentally, the same goes for Real Shaving cream. I have yet to see Taylor of Old Bond Street sitting on any shelves around here. Even in the high end beauty boutiques, but that's a topic for another forum.

Oct 20, 2008 at 6:55 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Fidelity /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shure Attachable Volume Control
Incidentally, the same goes for Real Shaving cream. I have yet to see Taylor of Old Bond Street sitting on any shelves around here. Even in the high end beauty boutiques, but that's a topic for another forum.

Haa.

Probably my best bet then, granted I can get it all for £40
bigsmile_face.gif

Oct 21, 2008 at 12:47 AM Post #11 of 12
i'd try and find some other soloution than the shure inline volume mic but if you cant i'll sell you mine I never use it

Oct 21, 2008 at 10:11 AM Post #12 of 12
really, now you're adding the cost of the attenuator to the cost of the fiio which puts you around $25 + shipping.

One could pick up a CMOY amp for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back