iPod LOD connector pin outs clarified (hopefully)
Dec 18, 2008 at 6:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

carlseibert

Head-Fier
Hi,

If you are making a Line Out Dock connector (LOD) for your iPod, you may run into a discrepancy in how the pins are numbered. (Yes, you can guess how I came to know this). Everybody here and pinouts.ru calls the line out pins numbers 2,3 and 4, which are common ground, right channel and left channel, respectively. ipodlinux, on the other hand, counts from the other end and calls the line out pins 27, 28,and 29. ipodlinux has a photo and a drawing that are very helpful (if you count pins their way, that is). To make matters worse, their photo shows the connector with the "arrow" side down, which is upside-down from the "normal" way of looking at the unit.

If you use pin numbers from here and their photo, what happened to me will happen to you.

So, if your connector is plugged into your iPod, and you are looking at it in the "normal" orientation (click wheel and display facing you), the three line out pins are the second, third, and forth pins from the left. If you turn the connector around and look in the muzzle end of it, the three pins will be one in from the top right. Note that in the "normal" orientation, the contacts in the connector are on "top" (the same side as the face of the iPod, or the side with the arrow marking)

I'll attach a picture that shows the pins we're after.

By the way, on the 3.5mm miniplug, the tip is left, the ring is right, and the shaft is common ground.

I hope this saves somebody some annoyance.

-Carl

.. and oh yeah, the silver wired cable I made sounds quite nice. It wasn't much trouble at all to build, apart from the wrong turn counting pins.

Dec 18, 2008 at 8:25 PM Post #2 of 14
Reading the stuffs on ipodlinux only makes you feel more confused about the side, pins or reversed pins.
The easiest way to navigate the pins is to plug the dock into your iPod and all the pins you need are on the left hand.

Dec 18, 2008 at 9:51 PM Post #3 of 14
Very nice post and tip for anyone that wants to make an LOD. Luckily for me, I hook everything to a breadboard before soldering the cables and placing sleeves and things on them; otherwise I would definitely have 2 or 3 unusable LOD's hanging around
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 19, 2008 at 5:57 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by sugrhigh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very nice post and tip for anyone that wants to make an LOD. Luckily for me, I hook everything to a breadboard before soldering the cables and placing sleeves and things on them; otherwise I would definitely have 2 or 3 unusable LOD's hanging around
tongue_smile.gif

Yup! I re-inserted the pins I needed in the first one after my internet-enabled dyslexia episode.

Then, since I couldn't check continuity from the itty bitty recessed pins, I figured what the heck and potted the whole thing. One of the re-inserted pins didn't make good contact, of course. So I couldn't salvage any pieces. I had to go back to Rat Shack for another mini plug. Most annoying. If I was using something fancier than five-cents-a-foot fine silver I would have been REAL annoyed.

On the second try, I lashed it up with clips for strain relief so I could test it with the multimeter and with a signal from the iPod. Then I potted everything. I can't exactly say that means I'm smart 'cause I learned from my mistake, given that the original error was proof to the contrary
confused_face(1).gif

-Carl

Dec 19, 2008 at 10:58 AM Post #8 of 14
interference. Other pins are connected to data pins and the such, which often have high frequency voltage oscillations on them. Since we're all about squeezing the most we can out of things, why not just do it?
How audible is the difference?.. I'm not sure. I haven't done any testing, but I can electromagnetically imagine what could happen. Though I like doing it mostly cause it keeps things neat inside. specially when doing other little mods, like for the ipod touch:

Dec 19, 2008 at 1:16 PM Post #11 of 14
I've got plenty removed pins in a little ziplock bag. I've had no problem re-inserting them. just pick the right orientation.

Well, I wont argue on the interference anyway. Like I said, I haven't tested it, nor done the maths. have you? I'd still do it for neatness and pin accessibility, but am sure it'd work if one doesn't..

Dec 19, 2008 at 1:27 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Connections /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interference , hmm i'm going to disagree with you there.

I never remove the spare pins as you never know the day that you might need them

Then I'm going to disagree with you
tongue.gif
I always remove the unnecessary pins.

Dec 20, 2008 at 2:24 PM Post #13 of 14
I remove the pins and put them in a snaplo,ck bag; I never know when I might need them
tongue.gif
try soldering 18AWg wires in there without doing it. you can dissagree all you like about the interference it wont make it go away.

I also tend to use a different ground pin to pin 2; usually 15,16 or 29 these are all tied to ground on the motherboard. not only does this give you less chance of shorting one of the audio channels to ground but it also spreads the tension more evenly out across the connector. I think 2 is always mentioned for ground as it is the audio ground pin (common ground is 1) although as I mentioned they are all connected in the ipod. 15 is also easy to bridge to 11 for iphone/2G touch operation

Dec 20, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #14 of 14
And why NOT remove the spare pins? In addition to everything else, once the plug is potted solid you can't get back in to make use of any unused pins anyway.

-Carl

Users who are viewing this thread

Back