ipod load lag?
Dec 24, 2002 at 3:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

badlydrawn

New Head-Fier
Hi,
I have had my ipod for a few weeks now, very pleased with it, sound quality and build quality but i have noticed recently two things that are starting to nag me:
i) between songs, there is a pause, is there anyway to by pass that?
ii) peices that are 31megs (17:45) pause in the middle a few times, when played in a playlist - i understand that the pod's refreshing its 32megs memory, but the pause is half a second and there are a few clicks. does that also happen on yours?

its just that its such a nice products that such little things are slightly introducing disappointment, which just annoys me cos i love the thing so much.

another thing, do you guys think that playlist on the fly is going to be a reality via firmware updates with the ipod - thats the only downside i can see with the pod now.

thanks in advance.

bdb

Dec 24, 2002 at 7:51 PM Post #2 of 5
i) Nope, not without a new firmware that allows for gapless playback and crossfade.

ii) Sometimes. On LAME --alt-preset files that are large, I usually don't get the gap when the buffer gets reloaded. But I've tested other files from other people (different VBR encoding) and the gaps do occur. So I'm guessing it depends on the file and whether or not the iPod can "read" it well enough to reload the buffer in advance before it empties so that there won't be gaps. Wav files sometimes have gaps and sometimes don't as well.

Dec 24, 2002 at 8:40 PM Post #3 of 5
hmmm, all my files are ripped with eac and lame alt-preset extreme... i will try the same track encoded with preset standard

it only occurs in a few tracks, so its not a super important but still, enough to wake you up just as u were falling asleep to your fav spaced-out playlist.

bdb

Dec 25, 2002 at 5:59 AM Post #5 of 5
I regularly play audiobook segments which are several hours in length with no problems--ever. So far as I know, buffer reloads haven't been a problem with iPods since the first firmware upgrade. I do a daily hour on a treadmill and did have problems when the iPod was first introduced, but no more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back