Ipod + Livewires + Turbodock II?
Oct 9, 2007 at 5:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Khanate

500+ Head-Fier
Hi,

First of all let me say I already have an Ipod 5th gen so that won't get replaced no matter what.
etysmile.gif

I wanted to buy new earphones and I got the livewires recommended which is already slightly over my budget, but I heard I could get problem with certain songs (I do listen to some metal with very bad recording) and from what I've heard (I may be wrong) a turbodock would be a cheap solution that would give me a better sound than straigth into the normal plug.

Do you guys think this is the best option for a tight budget ipod user or should I get a cheaper IEM and an amp or something like this?

Oct 10, 2007 at 1:58 AM Post #2 of 15
The turbodock is so you can get a lineout signal. You wouldn't really use that for your livewires, you'd use it for your portable or home amp. Now if you didn't want to spend the prices for the livewires, a LOD such as a turbo one, plus an amp and decent earphones or IEMs can be had for around what the livewires go for.

Oct 10, 2007 at 2:24 AM Post #3 of 15
Go with the Livewires. No one should go with an amp just for an amp (especially portably). The question though is can you get an amp with another IEM (and the inconvenience of an amp) for the quality you can get the Livewires solo? I have both setups, and I use the Livewires the vast majority of the time.

Oct 10, 2007 at 3:38 AM Post #4 of 15
I agree completely with blessingx. The best way to initialy get better sound out of your iPod is to get a great pair of headphones first, then think about an amp later.

Just getting good headphones is a big investment, and you can always and an amp later. If the Livewires are over your budget, get something else. Just a piece of advice from someone relatively new to Head-Fi. If you don't stick to a budget, this hobby will bankrupt you. Prior to joining Head-Fi a few months ago, all I had was an iPod, Grados and Ultimate Ears. Look at my signature now...

What headphones are you currently using now?

To some extent, there is no 'best' setup. A lot depends on your taste, what music you listen to, what you already own, etc. There are many threads in the Headphone forum on what phones to use without an amp.

Unamped, some music sound great with my Livewires, others with my SF5EB. Adding my D1 amp to that combination simply brings the sound to another level, but the unamped SF5EB and Livewires are a huge improvement over stock ibuds and unamped Grado.

Oct 10, 2007 at 4:39 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by trickywombat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree completely with blessingx. The best way to initialy get better sound out of your iPod is to get a great pair of headphones first, then think about an amp later.

Just getting good headphones is a big investment, and you can always and an amp later. If the Livewires are over your budget, get something else. Just a piece of advice from someone relatively new to Head-Fi. If you don't stick to a budget, this hobby will bankrupt you. Prior to joining Head-Fi a few months ago, all I had was an iPod, Grados and Ultimate Ears. Look at my signature now...

What headphones are you currently using now?

To some extent, there is no 'best' setup. A lot depends on your taste, what music you listen to, what you already own, etc. There are many threads in the Headphone forum on what phones to use without an amp.

Unamped, some music sound great with my Livewires, others with my SF5EB. Adding my D1 amp to that combination simply brings the sound to another level, but the unamped SF5EB and Livewires are a huge improvement over stock ibuds and unamped Grado.

Well I'm going to try to get the livewires as a christmas gift so it won't hurt my budget too much
k1000smile.gif

I'm using very cheap and bad headphones which have no sound isolation for exterior noise which I feel is a must-go as I think it's slowly impairing my earing.

So far I think I'll stick to the livewires + turbodock combination

Oct 10, 2007 at 9:25 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by barqy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey there, if you buy the turboDOCK, you will need an amp regardless.

the turbodock is for you to use a mini to mini (to connect to an amp!) via the line out dock of the ipod

It's just more convient (and cheaper) to get the turbodock if you already have a mini to mini

I thought the line-out had a better sound and would create less noise in my headphones than through the normal plug... maybe I've interpreted wrong what i read though. Can anyone confirm deny this?

Oct 11, 2007 at 12:56 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

"Line out docks allow you to connect the iPod’s docking port to a Line out cable. The cable in turn provides a signal which is cleaner and clearer than the signal which comes out of the headphone jack."

From LFF on the thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=188086

yes,

BUT

you're talking about two different kinds of signal. The signal that comes out of your headphone plug is amplified. your ipod has a built in headphone amp and its good, but not great.

The signal that comes out of the Line Out Dock is NOT and I repeat, NOT amplified. This line out completely bypasses the ipod's headphone amp, thats why it is cleaner, more spacious and preferred. The line out is also why you need an external amplifier.

The line out simply doesn't have the power to drive headphones. There is no way around it.

Yes, I believe that you will be blown away by the livewires plugged into your headphone jack on your ipod. The difference between any quality phones and the crap that came out of the box is the difference between night and day.

And yes, if you want to go further for more quality, then pick up a turbo line out dock and a nice headphone amp to use with your livewires.

And yes, if you want to go even further you can imod your ipod, Line Out it, Amp it and then you'll be wanting to spend more money on better phones.

Oct 11, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #11 of 15
Thanks a lot for all the info Low Fidelity, very useful!

So for now Livewires is what I should buy, next time I have money something like turbodock+tomahawk (that should be this summer), and when I get a real job see from there?

Oct 11, 2007 at 1:49 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

So for now Livewires is what I should buy, next time I have money something like turbodock+tomahawk (that should be this summer), and when I get a real job see from there?

Definitely hook yourself up with a pair of nice, quality multi-driver phones. This will be the most substantial change you can make to your musical experience.

as for what headphones, thats where you'll find lots and lots and lots of debates.

Westone 3s will be out soon for around $300 I think. Klipsch will be letting some animals out very soon. The prices on the high end shure e500/e530 are great deals if you feel like risking the warranty (shure is getting tight about warranties from non-authorized shure retailers/sellers).

I'm not trying to steer you away from the livewires at all. I'm waiting on delivery for a pair myself!

There are many choices to nice headphones. Browse the forums and see what people are saying. Ask questions because certain phones sound better with jazz and suave vocals while others excel with electronica and Thrash metal. Are you striving for audiophile-nirvana or audiophile-phobia?

and lastly, don't try to keep up with the Jones here. This hobby will break you faster than wedding vows on the springer show.

I guarantee you will not be disappointed if you make educated decisions based on lots and lots of opinions and facts. the hard part is learning where the fiction ends and the non fiction begins.

Oct 11, 2007 at 2:01 AM Post #13 of 15
Well I am very constrained by sound isolation which is one of the big factor going into my livewires decision as I ride the bus and metro about 2 hours per day and a lot of my listening time is done in noisy places or in places where I do not want to be hear (library).

I gathered that closed shells (forgot the actual term here) or IEM's would be the way to go as far as sound isolation goes, but that the closed shells might be lacking some power from the normal phonejack and could cause me some problem.

I listen to metal (drone doom, funeral doom and black mostly), indie rock and a bit of other stuff (electronica, blues, etc) but am mostly concerned for my metal as it is what I listen to more than half the time. I do try to read on forums about the different headphones, especially since I have about 2 months before making my purchase, but it is pretty hard to make a decision when you don't know much.
smily_headphones1.gif

edit: also I forgot to mention iMod earlier in the order of things to buy!

Thanks a lot for the infos and the tips Low Fidelity, you've been a great help!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 11, 2007 at 2:21 PM Post #15 of 15
Well I'm not yet at the stage of really looking into amp yet as that will be second after my headphones (still going with livewires at the moment), but I'll add both of those on my to-check list for when I do look for an line-out dock + amp!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back