Ipod lineout qualities
Jul 20, 2009 at 5:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

enthewhite

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I have been researching the different ways of taking line out signals from the ipod, but haven't really come to a conclusive opinion on the quality of the different types.

What is the sound quality of the normal headphone jack compared to line out (as in sendstation pocketdock, or a DIY ipod connector line out) compared to the imod?

Are any lineouts using the 30 pin ipod connector (without actually modding the insides of the ipod) going to be the same thing? (besides different quality of cables used)

Thanks for any help with this.

Ian

Jul 20, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #2 of 7
As for SQ, I cannot really comment since I haven't used an ipod since 4th gen. But I've seen this connector on ibasso.com which may be what you are looking for. I think the general consensus is that the LOD is an improvement for SQ over the conventional HP out.

Jul 20, 2009 at 5:13 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for the reply. I have seen the ibasso connectors too. I am wondering if those are going to be effectively the same thing as any line out using the 30pin connector, and how that compares to head phone out, and the imod.

From what I have read, it looks like a a normal line out (like the ibasso or pocketdock) would improve slightly on the headphone out, and the imod would improve much more, I just want to confirm this because I am trying to decide how to interface my ipod with my car stereo (will be using a clarion EQS746)

Jul 20, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #4 of 7
ah, then I wouldn't be able to help you at all. Again, I haven't had experience with ipods since black and white 4th gens.

Jul 20, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #5 of 7
Hi Ian. That ibasso dock and the one with the cable, LOD is available on e-bay from other sellers. It is not exclusive to ibasso, so you can save yourself a few pennies. I use mine with an ipod classic to a FiiO E5 and it is way better than the provided mini jack headphone output cable. Even though the LOD cost more than the amp it was still worth it. Everything about the sound improved, scale, clarity, bass, treble the lot. I also use a Russ Andrews GQ-24 to connect my ipod into my X-CANS amp. Again the sound is superb. Before buying the GQ-24 (it is £50 odd), I asked about such at an Apple store and was told that the sound out is far better from the dock than using the headphone out. For sound I would highly recommend either.

Jul 21, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #6 of 7
Thanks, Prog Rock Man!

So, if I get a line out signal from the ipod 30 pin connector, whether it be from an ibasso, pocketdock, apple universal dock, my own diy connector, etc., it will be exactly the same signal and the only factor influencing sound quality will be the quality of electrical components used. Correct?

Jul 22, 2009 at 1:10 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by enthewhite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, Prog Rock Man!

So, if I get a line out signal from the ipod 30 pin connector, whether it be from an ibasso, pocketdock, apple universal dock, my own diy connector, etc., it will be exactly the same signal and the only factor influencing sound quality will be the quality of electrical components used. Correct?

Correct, for the ibasso and a DIY connector if made with the same connections as the ibasso. As for docks, not sure, because they connect in a different way to allow charging of the ipod. LODs don't allow charging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back