iPod Line Out vs. small DACs (MicroDac, CIAudio, etc)
Dec 18, 2005 at 12:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

sonance

500+ Head-Fier
I was wondering whether the line out on an iPod (either 4G or 5G or Nano) compares favorably to the output of a MicroDac or a CIAudio DAC?
I'm wondering if I should buy a DAC + bit perfect soundcard -> Hornet to use at work or buy an iPod and use it's line out -> Hornet?
If anyone has had a chance to compare the line out to a DAC I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

Dec 18, 2005 at 1:31 AM Post #2 of 11
Dec 18, 2005 at 4:00 AM Post #3 of 11
I cannot speak for the MicroDAC, but I've had both a 4G iPod using line out via Sik Din and Sendstation Pocket Dock. Now I have a CIAudio VDA-1 DAC and there's no contest. Although the iPod line out is very good for a portable, it cannot compete with a dedicated outboard DAC unit like the VDA-1. The DAC is a lot more resolving, musical, with better extension at both low and high frequencies.

I had the same line of thought as you have where I wanted to achieve a home listening caliber rig in a transportable form. I think I have found it with the iRiver iHP-120 mp3 player with optical out » Glass optical cable » CIAudio VDA-1 » MagWires Litz RCA-Mini Cable » Ray Samuels Hornet » HD600 (Cardas).

When I am stationary in my room, I can connect the DAC to my Chaintech AV710 and get bit-perfect digital out or I can connect it to my Toshiba DVD/CD player to play Redbook cd's. DAC's are really flexible.

Unfortunately, I am in pretty desperate need of money at the moment and am seriously considering selling my rig. That's why my VDA-1 is for sale now, but I am really going to miss it.

Edit: Wait a second, I just looked at your profile and noticed you already have the Benchmark. Why don't you use that? Or would you prefer to keep that at home?

Dec 18, 2005 at 4:02 AM Post #4 of 11
I like my iPod, but it's no contest IMHO. All one need do is consider the analog out stage to understand that there's a lot more there there in the MicroDAC than in the iPod.

Dec 18, 2005 at 5:34 AM Post #5 of 11
i think a bigger question is where do you do the most listening?

while commuting or in your office?

see the way i figure, sure i can buy a better sound but since i listen mostly out of the house, then to me it's not worth it - i'd rather have a decent sound that i'll listen to more than a better sound that i'll rarely listen to

Dec 18, 2005 at 5:51 AM Post #6 of 11
Comparing an ipod line out (stock) to the micro dac, is like comparing fm stereo to CD's.

the iPod stock line out doesnt come close to the micro DAC.

Dec 19, 2005 at 12:19 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat
I cannot speak for the MicroDAC, but I've had both a 4G iPod using line out via Sik Din and Sendstation Pocket Dock. Now I have a CIAudio VDA-1 DAC and there's no contest. Although the iPod line out is very good for a portable, it cannot compete with a dedicated outboard DAC unit like the VDA-1. The DAC is a lot more resolving, musical, with better extension at both low and high frequencies.

I had the same line of thought as you have where I wanted to achieve a home listening caliber rig in a transportable form. I think I have found it with the iRiver iHP-120 mp3 player with optical out » Glass optical cable » CIAudio VDA-1 » MagWires Litz RCA-Mini Cable » Ray Samuels Hornet » HD600 (Cardas).

When I am stationary in my room, I can connect the DAC to my Chaintech AV710 and get bit-perfect digital out or I can connect it to my Toshiba DVD/CD player to play Redbook cd's. DAC's are really flexible.

Unfortunately, I am in pretty desperate need of money at the moment and am seriously considering selling my rig. That's why my VDA-1 is for sale now, but I am really going to miss it.

Edit: Wait a second, I just looked at your profile and noticed you already have the Benchmark. Why don't you use that? Or would you prefer to keep that at home?

Thanks for the input, guys, I guess I'll look into a DAC, and yes, I would prefer to leave the Benchmark at home, which is why I'm looking for a second DAC.

I wonder if I can still find the H1x0 players for a reasonable price. Time to do a search for <$500 DAC comparisons too
smily_headphones1.gif

In answer to another question - I listen to music more at work than while commuting since I don't ride on trains / buses / taxis much more than once a week, but I listen at work for many hours.

Dec 19, 2005 at 2:01 AM Post #8 of 11
Funny, but no one seems to recommend the Red Wine Audio iMod. From what I heard, it is a significant upgrade from the standard iPod line-out. I also heard that the line-out in the iPod mini (what RnB180 has) is of a lower quality than the full-size iPods, so that might might be a contributing factor for the "FM Stereo to CD's" comparison. I'de have to agree though that when faced head-to-head the stock iPod lineout is nothing compared to the big boys out there like the MicroDAC and whatnot.

Dec 19, 2005 at 5:50 AM Post #9 of 11
I heard a Red Wine iMod Nano hooked up to a RSA Hornet at a recent Boston meet. OMG. I think some of the $1000+ desktop rigs were jealous.

The uDAC sound is amazing. Headroom really nailed it. Picked up a used Overture (precursor to uDAC, same sound) after some extended listening sessions with the uDAC.

Unfortunately, I didn't A/B the iMod with the uDAC (though I listened to both at the meet, and both hooked up to the Hornet). My quick impression, however, was that the iPod DAC a la iMod was in the same class. At the very least.

Dec 20, 2005 at 6:36 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonance
I wonder if I can still find the H1x0 players for a reasonable price. Time to do a search for <$500 DAC comparisons too
smily_headphones1.gif

Than only reason I don't own a DAC is because if my H140 died, what would I do with it then? I'm a portable guy and there isn't much for digital out options out there.

Dec 22, 2005 at 2:27 AM Post #11 of 11
There is at least one new DAP with potential digital out on the horizon (the "open source Neuros III",) but I'm not counting on it. For now, I'm going to buy a H120 or H140 off ebay. I also found another company selling new old stock H120s and H140s, with full warranty, so that's another option. As a final fallback there are some portable CD / DVD players with digital out. So that's 3 options not counting whatever else could come out in the future, surely with the bazillions of new DAPs coming out we DAC lovers won't be left in the cold forever?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back