Ipod Line Out vs Dock Line Out
May 13, 2008 at 4:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

wackydesigner

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,
Serious advise needed.

I need some way to hook up my ipod touch to my upcoming amp.
Ipod Touch> ? >DV 336i>DT880

I just ordered the Apple Universal Dock so i could use the mini jack line out from that to RCA. That way i can use the same cable to my laptop as well. The other option was the lineout at the bottom of the ipod but its a proprietary input.

Is there is any quality difference between the two?

PS: I'm not even going to bother with the headphone lineout.

May 13, 2008 at 6:03 PM Post #2 of 15
i could be wrong here but IIRC Apples Universal Dock does not have a true lineout as one can still control the vol from the clickwheel (but do correct me if im offbase here guys).

OTOH a LOD from ALO or Turbo or most builders here will give a true lineout (that is once the LOD's connected, vol works only thru an ext. amp).

if both provides true lineouts, there should be no difference although arguments can be made that better SQ can be gotton with hiQ silver wire/solder in the LOD connections itself.

lastly, there is no headphone lineouts (excepting 4g iMods ofcos).

May 13, 2008 at 8:05 PM Post #4 of 15
whoopsy dooosy! in that case both Apples Uni Dock & LODs should provide identical SQ. youre good to go with either one.

btw i hear itouch as an especially clean lineout signal so u should be in for a treat.

May 13, 2008 at 9:03 PM Post #5 of 15
Really? Does that "cleanness" translate equally well even through the Dock or does performance suffer since now there is one more thing between the player and the amp?

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottiebabie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
whoopsy dooosy! in that case both Apples Uni Dock & LODs should provide identical SQ. youre good to go with either one.

btw i hear itouch as an especially clean lineout signal so u should be in for a treat.

May 13, 2008 at 11:22 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apple's Line out is a true line out. The volume is locked.

the volume is is not locked on my ipod 5g when using the apple universal dock...is the click wheel just attenuating the line out signal?

May 13, 2008 at 11:56 PM Post #7 of 15
By locked I mean that the line out is locked to one volume level, the click wheel still works for the headphone output. There should be no attenuation for the line out. I have 2 docs here, and had a 4G, my wife has a 5G I have a 2G Nano and all of them, when interacting with the various docs do not affect the line out volume.

May 14, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By locked I mean that the line out is locked to one volume level, the click wheel still works for the headphone output. There should be no attenuation for the line out. I have 2 docs here, and had a 4G, my wife has a 5G I have a 2G Nano and all of them, when interacting with the various docs do not affect the line out volume.

interesting, apple sells a remote for the apple universal dock that has a volume control. The remote lets me change the volume of the lineout

May 14, 2008 at 12:12 AM Post #9 of 15
Very cool! This makes sense in so many ways and I too have that remote (though it came with my laptop). I wonder if I can get it to work with the universal line out?

May 14, 2008 at 12:16 AM Post #10 of 15
Some are worried that this volume control is affecting sound quality, since there is some form of attenuation going on. I've not heard it, but just something to ponder.

Just to be safe I made my own dock station that has a line-out going straight to rca's.

May 14, 2008 at 12:34 AM Post #11 of 15
The original doc I had did not come with a remote receiver so it was just a solid signal, I can understand now why folks are worried. In that case, fi they can spring for it, go for the Wadia
smily_headphones1.gif

May 14, 2008 at 12:40 AM Post #12 of 15
i think someone needs to sacrifice their universal dock and pry it open and see whats really inside of one of these things.

May 14, 2008 at 12:45 AM Post #13 of 15
My Apple Universal Dock that I use to sync my ipod does not work as a true line out. Meaning I can adjust the volume on the ipod and it effects the volume of whatever amp/ HPs I have attached to the "line out."

EDIT: this is using a ipod classic and touch.

May 14, 2008 at 1:24 AM Post #14 of 15
This is truly disappointing for those that purchased the universals. when I had my 4G I had a nice true line-out only doc with zero attenuation. If/when I get the classic...the Wadia will be the doc for me.

May 14, 2008 at 3:34 AM Post #15 of 15
yaaa i thought i remembered the vol on clickwheel still functioned while hooked up to an Apple Dock at a frens pls but it was quite a while ago (+ i do have extremely fuzzy memory...or is it fuzzy logic...
tongue.gif
).

if this is true, then either a custom made or store (ALO maybe?) bought ipod LOD is the proper way to go IMO. any attenuation in the lineout signal wont be ideal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wackydesigner /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really? Does that "cleanness" translate equally well even through the Dock or does performance suffer since now there is one more thing between the player and the amp?

generally u do require an LOD of some kind to access an ipods lineout signal so an LOD is a neccessary evil. however certain branded Docks have all sorts of crap (resistors, inductors, etc...) in the signal so if it were my $$$ & if one subscribes to a purist view, i'd keep it extremely simple & get a straight LOD with decent build & good Q parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back