IPOD LINE OUT REVIEWS
Jul 11, 2006 at 8:37 PM Post #16 of 45
Are there recommendations, based on experience, of a recommended length for use of the Cotton Dock with a wide range of portable amps -- from Hornet to Headroom MicroAmp?

My silver Bling Dock was perfect for Portaphile, slightly angled for Hornet & SR-71, and straining with AE-1 & MicroAmp.

Of course short and compact is most comfortable for portability, but I'm concerned that the much thicker Cotton Dock may be too stressed for some amps and wonder if anyone has found an optimal length?

Jul 11, 2006 at 9:27 PM Post #17 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanee
Are there recommendations, based on experience, of a recommended length for use of the Cotton Dock with a wide range of portable amps -- from Hornet to Headroom MicroAmp?

My silver Bling Dock was perfect for Portaphile and AE-1, slightly angled for Hornet & SR-71, and straining with MicroAmp.

Of course short and compact is most comfortable for portability, but I'm concerned that the much thicker Cotton Dock may be too stressed for some amps and wonder if anyone has found an optimal length?

I recommend you contact Ken at AudioLineOut.com. He is very friendly and would be more than happy to suggest an ideal length.
cool.gif

Jul 11, 2006 at 9:56 PM Post #18 of 45
I'm really interested in the Bling Bling...can anybody elaborate more on it, or is that review as good as it can get? No offense, I realize sometimes that's as far as one can analyze a hunk of good wire
biggrin.gif

Jul 11, 2006 at 9:58 PM Post #19 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF
I recommend you contact Ken at AudioLineOut.com. He is very friendly and would be more than happy to suggest an ideal length.
cool.gif

Of course -- I PM'd Ken a bit earlier today. However, while I'm waiting, it's worth asking among those who may have related experiences.

Jul 11, 2006 at 10:09 PM Post #20 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by AtheisticFreedom
I'm really interested in the Bling Bling...can anybody elaborate more on it, or is that review as good as it can get? No offense, I realize sometimes that's as far as one can analyze a hunk of good wire
biggrin.gif

I don't yet have any but the (silver) Bling Dock, so I can't yet offer comparisons from my perspsective. I've been very happy with the Bling, compared to various cables that I've used with the SikDin (iPod lineout adapter cable). I found the Bling to be very clean and transparent, and of course I love the look and compact dimensions. Unfortunately, when I get the Cotton Dock I'll no longer have the Bling for comparison.

One warning about the naked solid silver versions, such as the Bling: though it is flexible and holds its shape nicely, it is 3 thin solid wires and can break with excessive manipulation or stress. I don't know how much more resistant the cotton and silk versions are to cracking/breaking.

Jul 11, 2006 at 10:21 PM Post #21 of 45
Quote:

biggrin.gif

No offense taken my good friend.
cool.gif

Ok, the Bling Bling is very clean and very detailed. It is a lot smaller than the cotton dock. It holds it shape nicely and is very portable friendly. I would say it is about 85% as good as the cotton dock. The cotton dock has, IMHO, all the benefits of the Bling Bling with the added benefits of a good copper conductor. The cotton dock is the best of both worlds.

Jul 12, 2006 at 12:01 AM Post #22 of 45
Quote:

biggrin.gif

I think the bling bling is the teflon insulated silver. See my comments on it above. post #13

Jul 12, 2006 at 12:03 AM Post #23 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF
No offense taken my good friend.
cool.gif

Ok, the Bling Bling is very clean and very detailed. It is a lot smaller than the cotton dock. It holds it shape nicely and is very portable friendly. I would say it is about 85% as good as the cotton dock. The cotton dock has, IMHO, all the benefits of the Bling Bling with the added benefits of a good copper conductor. The cotton dock is the best of both worlds.

Not sure I understnd you here. Are you saying that the conductors in the Cotton Dock are copper? Mine are 5 9's silver.

Jul 12, 2006 at 12:57 PM Post #24 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth
Not sure I understnd you here. Are you saying that the conductors in the Cotton Dock are copper? Mine are 5 9's silver.

No. I am saying the Cotton Dock (which indeed is Silver) has the benefits of a silver line out with the warmness of a copper line out. The cotton dock is simply the best of both worlds. It is clean, warm and very impressive.

Jul 12, 2006 at 2:17 PM Post #25 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF
No. I am saying the Cotton Dock (which indeed is Silver) has the benefits of a silver line out with the warmness of a copper line out. The cotton dock is simply the best of both worlds. It is clean, warm and very impressive.

Ahh, that makes perfect sense and I completely agree with you. Actually, it would still make perfect sense even if I didn't agree with you.
wink.gif

Thanks for the clarification.
k1000smile.gif

Cheers!

Jul 12, 2006 at 4:46 PM Post #26 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth
Ahh, that makes perfect sense and I completely agree with you. Actually, it would still make perfect sense even if I didn't agree with you.
wink.gif

Thanks for the clarification.
k1000smile.gif

Cheers!

Anytime.
biggrin.gif

Oct 25, 2006 at 12:25 AM Post #27 of 45
So what about ALO Cotton vs Cryo? Has anybody spent enough time with both to compare sound differences? I keep hearing how cotton is king but that cryo is more durable so I'd like to hear from those that own both if the difference between the two is significant. I am trying to decide between the two for a portable setup with my Nano and e500s. Probably paired with a Hornet.

Jun 7, 2007 at 1:28 AM Post #28 of 45
Thanks to LFF for starting this thread and doing the initial reviews. I know it was a while ago, but still.

I've just placed an order for the Cotton Dock - looking forward to it!

Note that ALO has changed domains since the first article was written and so the links are dead. ALO is now at www.aloaudio.com. You might want to update your links in the original post since this thread comes up high in searches for ipod docks, and rightly so!
etysmile.gif

Jun 7, 2007 at 1:47 AM Post #29 of 45
In general I prefer Cryo to the Cotton Dock. CRYO is very durable so for portable rigs I find it a must. But not just because of that

I think the CRYO has all the sound benefits the cotton but with just a touch more low end. EVEN MORE with a JUMBO CRYO.

That said....I have found the Cryo/Silver combo to just be the perfect sound sig for my ears.

TRY IT YOU LIKE IT!!
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 8, 2007 at 12:28 AM Post #30 of 45
I have used the cotton mini and I prefer it to the jumbo cryo. An alternative in between the bling and the cotton was the Six Shooter. It use 2 wires per channel for a total of 6, I believe they were 22 gauge or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back