ipod line out dock on a 6g classic
Dec 29, 2007 at 7:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

rei_yano

100+ Head-Fier
hey guys Im thinking about buying a pico soon and Im going to be using this little monster amp/dac here with my ipod classic (6g) and cd player mainly. Now as I understand it the 6g cannot be modded becuase it uses a different dac inside. I hear it actually sounds better than the 5.5g and as such I dont regret my purchase that much but I do want the best audio quality I can squeeze out of this thing.

There are a lot of ipod LODs out there and some are fairly reasonable and some are crazy expensive. Ive seen some out there as low as 20 - 30 bucks and then you got ALOaudio. If it is worth the change than I would easily pay these guys 100 bucks or more for a decent line out cable. however I dont want to buy something that has little to no effect on quality.

since there are no options for us classic owners as far as an imod I have to find out how to get the best quality possible. thanks everyone!
biggrin.gif

Dec 29, 2007 at 11:05 PM Post #2 of 9
Buy the least expensive dock with good quality. We're talking iPod here, not high-end source. Anything much over $50 or so is not money well spent imo. I use an ALO Bling-Bling.

Dec 29, 2007 at 11:38 PM Post #3 of 9
I see. its too bad that the classic is hindered by not being mod-able... pretty much could never be a high end source... however Im sure with the bling bling and lossless files plus my alessandros and my soon to own pico amp/dac and yuin pk1s everything should sound pretty good. all in all it sounds like Ill get the most audio quality from my cd players and pc as source tho... meh..
redface.gif

Dec 30, 2007 at 12:12 AM Post #4 of 9
Ah yes, I should have my greedy little hands on a Pico w/DAC fairly soon...and I believe that Pico paired with your Alessandro's and PC would be a difficult combo to beat.(I'm assuming you'd be buying the DAC version)

The good thing is that Grado/Alessandros sound very good ampless if needed but using line-out from iPod into a decent amp is a noticeable upgrade in SQ.

Dec 30, 2007 at 12:41 AM Post #5 of 9
I love my ms2s! they sound pretty awesome combined with my e-mu 0404 usb 2.0. although the amp is pretty lacking... which is why I am so interested in the pico! such a small package too. Ill have the funds somewhat soon. maybe depending on how my finances go.
frown.gif

Dec 30, 2007 at 1:12 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Buy the least expensive dock with good quality. We're talking iPod here, not high-end source. Anything much over $50 or so is not money well spent imo. I use an ALO Bling-Bling.

I agree, I just bought a bling bling from alo for my pico last night.

Dec 30, 2007 at 2:03 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by hanalei mike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree, I just bought a bling bling from alo for my pico last night.

Ditto...these days I am more and more bugged by how much simplistic cables and LOD and whatnot cost, when it has been shown that with DIY modders, they take a serious fraction of what retailers are selling it at.

Dec 30, 2007 at 4:16 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ditto...these days I am more and more bugged by how much simplistic cables and LOD and whatnot cost, when it has been shown that with DIY modders, they take a serious fraction of what retailers are selling it at.

I couldn't agree more.

Up until a few weeks ago i was firm believer in big name brands, thinking that i was getting better products and service at a premium. But recent incidents have opened my eyes. From now on all my cables, LOD's etc with be made by diy'ers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back