Ipod line out cable to Amp
Jun 6, 2007 at 11:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

jamespb78

Head-Fier
Hi all,

Am only new to this.

Can someone recommend me a good line out cable I can use to connect my Ipod nano (the latest version), to a RSA Hornet amp? I have no idea what brands/thickness etc are good and whats not.

Budget: I guess up to $100 ?

If possible, a online store would be great.

Thanks

Jun 6, 2007 at 12:12 PM Post #4 of 11
Still looking at the ALO Audio site...but boy am I confused!

What exactly should I be looking for?

The first reply to my post in this thread, said the Jena Cryodock, but on the ALO website there is:

"cryo x silver, jumbo cryodock, vampire dock, cryo micro, cryogenically treated cables, and finally hi fi famous cotton and silk cables"

Anyone care to make more of a specific recommendation to an actual product on the ALO site? As I mentioned earlier, Im only a newbie to this. AMP is a RSA Hornet, and cans are currently UE super.fi 5 pro, but soon getting some UE 7 or UE 10's.

I like the look of the following cable I saw on the ALO site, but no idea what type it is:

http://www.aloaudio.com/jumboRS2a.jpg

Thanks

Jun 6, 2007 at 2:41 PM Post #5 of 11
how do the DIY cables that cost 15$ compare to those expensive ipod cables anyway? I'm waiting for:

------------------------------------------------------
2 x 9063-01 - Neutrik NYS231G 3.5mm straight mini nickel body goldplated tip = € 6,50
1 x 9050-00 - 0,5m 1/4" (6.4mm) nominal diameter (min-max diam: 3.2-11.1mm) = € 1,35
Color Blue
2 x 2901-07 - 1m solid core Silver wire, 0,4mm diameter, Insulated = € 7,70
1 x 9043-01 - 0,2m Dual wall Polyolefin, Nominal diameter 9.5mm = € 1,15
2 x 9001-01 - iPod dock connector BLACK, thin, glue, shielded = € 3,00
1 x 9059-09 - Single wall, diversity set. = € 3,75
1 x 9050-00 - 0,5m 1/4" (6.4mm) nominal diameter (min-max diam: 3.2-11.1mm) = € 1,35
Color Red
------------------------------------------------------
Sub-Total: € 24,80 (price for 2 plus lots of spare shrink wrap, etc..)

the blue and red stuff is texflex.. i gather I'll do some braiding of sorts and make it look all fancy schmansy and well protected.. should get it in a few days..

I mean, the cable isnt cyro treated or anything.. but.. hmm.. anyone have a say?

Jun 6, 2007 at 3:08 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamespb78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The first reply to my post in this thread, said the Jena Cryodock, but on the ALO website there is:

"cryo x silver, jumbo cryodock, vampire dock, cryo micro, cryogenically treated cables, and finally hi fi famous cotton and silk cables"

Anyone care to make more of a specific recommendation to an actual product on the ALO site?

This is the Jena Cryo Dock:

http://www.aloaudio.com/cryo/cryo.html

It is actually shown via the "cryogenically treated cables" link.

I have one of these, and I love it. It will work perfectly with the Nano to Hornet. The customer service from ALO is great also.

Jun 6, 2007 at 3:31 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Anyone care to make more of a specific recommendation to an actual product on the ALO site? As I mentioned earlier, Im only a newbie to this. AMP is a RSA Hornet, and cans are currently UE super.fi 5 pro, but soon getting some UE 7 or UE 10's.

I like the look of the following cable I saw on the ALO site, but no idea what type it is:

Thanks

'Jena' is the maker of the cryogenically-treated copper wire that goes into all of the cables named 'Cryo' something or other.

Also, I'm not entirely sure what's inside the cable you've linked, but I'm fairly certain that the sleeving is made of Techflex (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) - so if you want this look on the cheap, I'm sure you can get someone to make you a cable with a few layers of this stuff. I got one from a fellow named Barqy at a pretty good price.

As far as selecting a cable goes, a good starting point is in what material you want the wire made out of. If you're finding the sound out of your amp warm and you want to make this more neutral, go with a silver wire; if you're finding it clinical and cold (doubtful) go for copper. One of the benefits of copper is that it's very ductile while silver is not - the latter are known for breaking while in pockets.

Unfortunately, my expertise ends here, so I can't really give you any advice as far as cryo cables go, but I'm sure you'll be fairly happy with whatever you end up buying.

Jun 6, 2007 at 8:45 PM Post #10 of 11
if your on a budget, I would recommend Turbo's newest dock cable. I own a ALO copper dock which costs significantly more, but I consider them to be equal in sound quality.

Jun 7, 2007 at 2:13 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Thanks

Go for the Bling Bling Silver. It's within your budget and sound far better than their basic copper cable..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back