Ipod lacks bass- (using with super.fi pro 5)
Feb 15, 2006 at 12:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

amir_j

100+ Head-Fier
Ive currently got the super.fi pro 5- but with an ipod 5g 30gb there isn`t all that much bass there, i mean it is there but just not pounding hard enough if you know what i mean.

Normally listen with no EQ but if I put on the bass boost it just muddles everything up!!.

The thing is I know the super.fi 5 pro are capable of awesome bass- Ive hooked them up to a portable minidisc player I have with some old DJ sets and the bass (with superbass type setting on full) is astounding, on some tracks it plays very low frequencies which make my mx500`s just crackle. Its like hearing a subwoofer.

So assuming its the case that its the ipod that doesn`t boost bass and make it as prominent as my Sharp minidisk player does.

Will the UE EB`s boost the bass much more? than the pro 5`s. Or is there a way to manipulate my music to do this
confused.gif

Feb 15, 2006 at 12:41 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by amir_j
Ive currently got the super.fi pro 5- but with an ipod 5g 30gb there isn`t all that much bass there, i mean it is there but just not pounding hard enough if you know what i mean.

Normally listen with no EQ but if I put on the bass boost it just muddles everything up!!.

The thing is I know the super.fi 5 pro are capable of awesome bass- Ive hooked them up to a portable minidisc player I have with some old DJ sets and the bass (with superbass type setting on full) is astounding, on some tracks it plays very low frequencies which make my mx500`s just crackle. Its like hearing a subwoofer.

So assuming its the case that its the ipod that doesn`t boost bass and make it as prominent as my Sharp minidisk player does.

Will the UE EB`s boost the bass much more? than the pro 5`s. Or is there a way to manipulate my music to do this
confused.gif

Sorry to tell you this, but in general EQ settings from Ipod's are suck. When i listen to my iAudio5 player its like haven and hell with Ipod. So you probably need an good portable amp. to get more quility out.
eggosmile.gif

Feb 15, 2006 at 12:50 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Sounds like you're a basshead and would be better off with the EB. The iPod's EQ isn't great and it does cause distortion. Another option: how long have you had your 5G? If it's relatively new to you it might not be a bad idea to give yourself time to adjust to the difference in sound from your MD player.

Next to the Shuffle the 5G is generally consdidered to have the best sounding headphone output of the current lineup. FWIW I think my 30GB 5G has great bass with the Etymotic ER-4P. I don't use any EQ at all. But if you're used to listening to a portable device with Bass Boost that's cranked to the max and that's what you like, well, it wouldn't work for you.
icon10.gif

Feb 15, 2006 at 12:54 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

:

have u tried the "R&B" EQ?

it gives a little more bass and synergy at the same time..

works for me though..

but then again, the ipod's EQ really do suck..
rolleyes.gif

Feb 15, 2006 at 2:30 PM Post #5 of 9
dpippel said:
. Another option: how long have you had your 5G? If it's relatively new to you it might not be a bad idea to give yourself time to adjust to the difference in sound from your MD player.

QUOTE]

only had it 7 days so makes sense to get used to it- but then the risk that ill go past the 14 day money back policy so tough one.

Will try thr R&B abd other eq and see how I go

Many Thanks for the advice

Feb 15, 2006 at 2:54 PM Post #6 of 9
I dunno man, the 5G seems to have much improved bass over its predecessors. Nowhere near as much rolloff as there used to be. Try not to EQ it though if you can help it... the iPod EQ still sucks real bad.

Feb 15, 2006 at 5:00 PM Post #7 of 9
The iPod 5G with the SF5Pros doesn't lack bass at all to my ears, so I suppose its a matter of taste.

Either go for the SF5EBs or use mp3/aac Gain to reduce the volume of you're music files, that way you can use the ipod EQ presets without any apparent distortion.

Feb 15, 2006 at 6:47 PM Post #9 of 9
Amir_j,

How are you ripping your music? What is the format/bit rate of the tracks in your iPod? That might be a factor here.

-Vik

Users who are viewing this thread

Back