iPod killing my Windows
Jan 22, 2007 at 12:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

skev13

500+ Head-Fier
I own one of those iPod docks, and usually I just leave my iPod sitting in the dock, which is connected to usb until I need to use the iPod. Basically a while ago, I started noticing that leaving the iPod in the dock, then booting up my PC (iPod is off, but the turning on of my PC would provide USB power, which then turns on the iPod) the iPod does not allow Windows to boot up, it just freezes before any Windows loading screen even shows.

Turn off the PC, unplug the iPod, booting it up again, and it works fine. Checked boot sequences, all the options in iTunes, still no solution.

Not a major problem, but kind of an incovenience.

Anyone else experience this?

Sep 15, 2007 at 2:45 AM Post #4 of 8
This may have nothing to do with the problem you are experiencing, but when I first started trying to sync my Nano it wouldn't cause my computer to fail to boot, but it would freeze up Outlook, iTunes, etc. My system has my boot drive set up as "E" and for some reason it wanted to give the Nano the drive letter "C," the normal boot drive letter. This was way too confusing for Windows and it would just freeze up. I changed the drive letter assignment for my Nano and haven't had any problems since. You might check to see what drive letter Windows is giving your iPod, just in case.

Holly

Sep 15, 2007 at 3:42 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by OakIris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This may have nothing to do with the problem you are experiencing, but when I first started trying to sync my Nano it wouldn't cause my computer to fail to boot, but it would freeze up Outlook, iTunes, etc. My system has my boot drive set up as "E" and for some reason it wanted to give the Nano the drive letter "C," the normal boot drive letter. This was way too confusing for Windows and it would just freeze up. I changed the drive letter assignment for my Nano and haven't had any problems since. You might check to see what drive letter Windows is giving your iPod, just in case.

Holly

Thanks for the help, but my problem is before windows even boots! When i'm in windows, all is well. It's just really annoying because I often forget to take my ipod out of the dock before powering up the PC.

Sep 15, 2007 at 7:53 AM Post #7 of 8
Listen to everyone about unplugging it. It's not big deal. I ran into this issue awhile back when I changed my boot sequence and couldn't figure it out. It took a few tries. Its nothing to worry about, and won't do any damage, just unplug the ipod, and restart your computer.

Sep 16, 2007 at 12:05 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by skev13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Turn off the PC, unplug the iPod, booting it up again, and it works fine. Checked boot sequences, all the options in iTunes, still no solution.

I'm experiencing the same problem with a USB card reader. You might not have to turn the PC off before unplugging the iPod, just unplug it and it should proceed to the windows loading screen. This would be of less inconvenience. I'm not sure if it will work in your case but it works in mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back