iPod Killers... Please suggest/review
Jan 9, 2005 at 2:26 AM Post #151 of 166
Quote:

Originally Posted by beernutz
Yeah, and since McDonalds is the most popular hamburger it must be the best.
lambda.gif

zing

Jan 9, 2005 at 4:02 AM Post #152 of 166
Quote:

Originally Posted by chumley
The rolloff doesn't exist, thisp. 4G has a neutral and 'flat' response; 20-20k, nada rolloff... you're 'analytical data' conclusions are flawed for several reasons, not least of which is that you are searching for data to back up what you want to conclude, not evaluating (4G referenced) data neutral sets that have been out on the Internet months... iPodlounge refers to these, as do MANY other sites... there is lots of 'flex' in your conclusion, so much so that it is essentially a meaningless observation, if you stick to the graphs alone.

If graphs are your thing, here's a nice place to begin:

http://stereophile.com/digitalsource...34/index5.html

... bear in mind these measurements refer to the 3G; the LAST gen DAC from Wolfson, with measurably less low end than the 4G's new Wolfson DAC...

And thisp- at 44 years old, and making over $270k a year AFTER taxes, I have nothing to 'make up' except perhaps bedtime stories for my daughter...
biggrin.gif

You find other DAPs superior to the 4G iPod, that's cool. Let's just leave it at that, ok?

Peace.

The rolloff isn't on any player tested like that, just into lower impedances. Most if not all players measure flat unless measured with low impedance loads, where there is a measured rolloff, as with the Karma and the iPod.

and I'll try to keep it here instead of resorting to psychoanalytical PMs.
biggrin.gif

Jan 9, 2005 at 4:47 AM Post #153 of 166
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thisp
The rolloff isn't on any player tested like that, just into lower impedances. Most if not all players measure flat unless measured with low impedance loads, where there is a measured rolloff, as with the Karma and the iPod.

and I'll try to keep it here instead of resorting to psychoanalytical PMs.
biggrin.gif

I understand what you are talking about now. Thanks for the 411!
biggrin.gif

Jan 9, 2005 at 5:52 AM Post #154 of 166
Quote:

I've successfully fought off 'desk belly' by getting a black belt in Ju Jitzu,

I dont feel a mixed martial arts competition a la UFC would be fare because of the potential difference in physical stature and/or skills. That is why I suggested a slapfight and posted the rules. No disrespect to Chumley or Raynman.
k1000smile.gif

I have an idea. Lets make it pay per view on the web and the winner takes the losers dap AND all the cash, along with a belt declaring him HFO (Head-Fi.Org, the sanctioning body) world champ. The belt would hold a dap, an amp, 2 headphones and a cellphone.

FIGHT!

Jan 9, 2005 at 5:54 AM Post #155 of 166
* I of course would get a small handling fee for being the promoter.

orphsmile.gif

ONLY IN AMERICA PEOPLE!

Jan 9, 2005 at 7:40 AM Post #156 of 166
OT:

I couldn't help but laugh on the floor when I saw Chumley posted what I pm'd
k1000smile.gif
. Asking for sympathy are we? Too bad nobody wants to give you any because anyone who would have read this thread would have come to the same conclusion as I have.

:runs away with the last laugh:

Jan 9, 2005 at 10:34 AM Post #158 of 166
You're missing what chumley is saying, atleast what I think he's saying.

The iPod is FLAT whereas other players are actually boosting the low end to compensate for the MP3's they'll be playing. Theoretically, that means if you put a lossless file on both players, the iPod would be flat and the other player would be bass heavy.

Correct me if I'm wrong ol chum. (hah! couldn't resist)

Jan 9, 2005 at 12:55 PM Post #159 of 166
Quote:

The rolloff doesn't exist, thisp. 4G has a neutral and 'flat' response; 20-20k, nada rolloff... you're 'analytical data' conclusions are flawed for several reasons, not least of which is that you are searching for data to back up what you want to conclude, not evaluating (4G referenced) data neutral sets that have been out on the Internet months... iPodlounge refers to these, as do MANY other sites... there is lots of 'flex' in your conclusion, so much so that it is essentially a meaningless observation, if you stick to the graphs alone.

If graphs are your thing, here's a nice place to begin:

http://stereophile.com/digitalsource...34/index5.html

I just want to point out there is something not stated in the article.

At the maximum volume, iPod do clip and distorted.

If you read carefully, it is written that "The maximum distortion-free output level into 100k ohms was 911mV at 1kHz—more than enough to drive typical headphones to unbearably loud levels.". The measurement was done with 100kohm!!! It is not 16ohm, 32ohm or 100ohm, but a line level output test. And in my own measurement long ago, the maximum output from iPod was more than 1V which is clipping badly.

Thus my statement still the same, iPod sound best in line level output (but still not the best sounding player) just don't play it at maximum volume. And no, it is not a "Neutral" sounding player if you use it as HP output or at maximum volume. And the player crosstalk measurement is very bad.

[Edited] correcting quoting and add additional sentence.

Jan 9, 2005 at 4:40 PM Post #160 of 166
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frenchman
You're missing what chumley is saying, atleast what I think he's saying.

The iPod is FLAT whereas other players are actually boosting the low end to compensate for the MP3's they'll be playing. Theoretically, that means if you put a lossless file on both players, the iPod would be flat and the other player would be bass heavy.

Correct me if I'm wrong ol chum. (hah! couldn't resist)

Show me a player that boosts the lows to compensate, none do this. They wouldn't be capable of it. I showed you the Karma/iPod rightmark test, they measured the same. Most other players tested with rightmark, outside of SNR and whatnot, measure the same. The only sound differences I can perceive there being is the SNR, mW output and the amount of rolloff.

Well encoded MP3s have the bass there. Lossy compression isn't perfect, but it doesn't just remove the bass. Most cannot, in an ABX blind test, tell the difference from an --alt-preset standard MP3 and the original WAV.

Jan 9, 2005 at 10:39 PM Post #161 of 166
Ey! What's up Ed?

What is this 'chumley' talking about? I understand how some people don't like certain sound, but how is it possible to dislike better sound? The Karma has both a more powerful amp and a parametric EQ. Sounds great to me... what headphones are you using?

Jan 10, 2005 at 5:34 AM Post #162 of 166
Quote:

Originally Posted by raynman
OT:

I couldn't help but laugh on the floor when I saw Chumley posted what I pm'd
k1000smile.gif
. Asking for sympathy are we? Too bad nobody wants to give you any because anyone who would have read this thread would have come to the same conclusion as I have.

:runs away with the last laugh:

They already have, RM- they already have... they've just arrived at a different conclusion, is all. You can find sympathy between crap and syphilis in the dictionary. I don't need any, but perhaps your diligent Internet taunting will get you the recognition you deserve, eh?

Don't let your helmut strap get caught in the pedals of your Big Wheel, RM, as you roll away 'with the last laugh' back to Chuck E. Cheese.

Still waiting on that PM.

Jan 10, 2005 at 8:12 AM Post #163 of 166
Quote:

They already have, RM- they already have... they've just arrived at a different conclusion, is all.

I'm guessing many conclusions were drawn about you in this thread below:

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=96834
<Begin condensed version:>
chumley: "I have a Corda Prehead MKII SE."
<none other than Mr. Meier himself steps in>
chumley: "Err...oh, did I say I had a Corda Prehead MKII SE? I meant the non-SE."
<Mr. Meier steps in....again>
chumley: "Err...oh, uh, I didn't buy it new, I bought it used (always used)."
<Mr. Meier steps in...yet again>
chumley: "Err...umm, yea...umm...I bought it used, listened to it for a while, and then gave it back...and let the seller keep the money...yea, yea, that's it."
<End condensed version>
And then (as if that wasn't enough)...you throw in that "schmutz" stuff about the Total Airhead...and then the HeadRoom rep jumps into the thread...wow...just wow…I mean, gettin' called out by not one, but two different manufacturers in one thread? That has to be some kind of record, right? I mean, ok, I haven't been participating on this forum for all that long, but I've never seen anything like that. Just complete and utter humiliation, dude…we’re talkin’ 100% credibility loss…IMHO, of course.
icon10.gif

Oh, and who could forget this thread (a true chumley classic):

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=90178

I think the last few pages of that thread (and the repeatedly denied requests for photo verification) say it all…
...IMHO, of course.
icon10.gif
<---blatant chumley-ism...sorry for plagiarizing.
But please know that this humble opinion was shared by many who observed and participated in that thread.

No doubt about it…lots of conclusions have been drawn about you…and they’re not nearly as nice as you think.

Peace,

Graz

Jan 10, 2005 at 10:09 AM Post #165 of 166
Ah crap! why not buy both and be happy
very_evil_smiley.gif
people here buy more than one headphone why not buy a DAC for each (just kidding)
k1000smile.gif

For the Original poster, My suggestion is to give both a try and choose the one you prefer. Off course you can always return them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back