iPod Killers... Please suggest/review
Dec 31, 2004 at 7:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 166

Xell

New Head-Fier
Hi there... 100% newbie posting here.
I've owned a 3G 15gb iPod for 1 1/2 years now. Totally angry with apple for such a rubbish product. The DAY after my warranty ran out (yep, i missed the whole extended warranty blurb) the back button stopped working, since then none of the controls (except the remote) work. Don't get me started on the awful battery life and shocking speed of the bl**dy thing!!

So this is what it's come down to. I'm off travelling for 6 months. Chances are i will have limited access to PC's (to download photos and burn onto CD) and i need my collection of mp3's (and m4a files - need to convert) to be taken with me.

So, my criteria for my portable music system is:
20 GB HDD
15+ hour battery life (but as i'm travelling 20+ is preferred)
USB

Optional - not THAT important
Allows for cameras to be plugged in and downloaded
Radio
Colour

A list of portable audio players, ordered by current preference.

[size=medium]1.Sony NW-HD3 [/size]
B0006VJ7VQ.02.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

[size=medium]What i think:[/size] Lovely look and 30 hours playback! I don't mind about ATRAC but i do miss the fact i can't use it with my camera to download images....
# 20 GB internal Hard Disk Drive memory
# Extremely long playback time of up to 30 hours with the built-in rechargeable battery
# Sony's unique G-sensor technology protects the internal HDD even if it falls from a height of 1m
# Large 7 line (1.5 inch) LCD with various backlight colours
# SonicStage 2.3 software for easy music management and transfers
# Supports all popular digital audio compression formats: MP3 / ATRAC / WMA (non-encrypted) / WAV
# Capable to store audio, visual and data files (Word, Powerpoint, ATRAC, MP3, Jpeg, Mpeg, etc)
# Fast music and data transfer via Hi-Speed USB connection
# Durable Aluminium body weighing just 130 grams

[size=medium]2.Sony VAIO pocket [/size]
SON59331.gif

[size=medium]What i think:[/size] I really don't know much about the quality or anything really, but it seems cool.
PC USB2.0
Sonicstage 2.1
Up to 20 Hours Bat.
2.2" Colour LCD 3 Line
LCD Remote
MP3/WMA Support through ATRAC Up to 13,000 Songs (ATRAC3plus 48Kbps) QVGA Res. Supports DSC image download via cradle (Cybershot)

[size=medium]3.iRiver H320 [/size]
B00065GZLW.02.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

[size=medium]What i think:[/size] With all the features, i'm impressed... abit too flashy though. I want something alittle less 'LOOK AT MEEEEEEE!!!!!!!'
# 2" colour display for photos and eBooks
# Supports MP3, WMA and OGG Vorbis
# USB On-The-Go (OTG) function
# Room for over 10,000 titles
# Built-in radio
# Real-time MP3 encoding
# Drag and drop file transfer
# Compact size
# High-grade workmanship
# Attractive design

[size=medium]4.Rio Karma [/size]
B0000AQIFZ.01-A1NDBS7YGOPBD6._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

[size=medium]What i think:[/size]Looks naff but the DJ sounds a nice feature.
# 20 GB HDD plays back over 330 hours of MP3 or 660 hours of WMA music
# Auto-DJ intelligently finds, mixes and creates playlists from tracks on command
# 5-band parametic equalizer with pre-sets
# 15-hours continuous playback with rechargeable LiIon battery
# Compatible with computers with USB 2.0 (1.1 compatible) ports running Windows 98 SE, 2000, ME, or X

I know there are plenty more. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. If you have other suggestions or even comments on already featured players please let me know!
Images and info from Amazon and MicroAnvika.

Dec 31, 2004 at 8:00 PM Post #2 of 166
The only MP3 player that I think is actually better than the iPod for sound quality is the Rio Karma. It is the most ugly thing I've seen in a while and that's saying something. XD

But, the iAudio M3 comes real close. It's a looker, too. Nice metal housing and sleek lines. The only downside is that the LCD display is only on the remote and not on the main unit... thus giving you much more cord to get tangled up in. >.<

Btw, the HD3 plays MP3s and so does the Vaio portable media center. Be warned however that Sony is notorious for extending battery life by extremely lowering the output of a device's headphone jack. With only a 5mW output, there's no real way that any Sony player can even simulate a line-output. If you use with an amp, this is definitely something to consider.

I'm sorry your experience with the iPod was not optimal. I own an iPod Mini and it is everything I ever wanted in an MP3 player. Of course, though, I don't travel a lot, so battery life is not much of a concern for me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 31, 2004 at 8:10 PM Post #3 of 166
I suggest you wait a few days (5 to be exact), because CES is just around the corner. Alot of new players coming out then. I think you are the perfect candidate for an Iaudio M5 which will mostlikely be realeased at the end of January.

Dec 31, 2004 at 8:12 PM Post #4 of 166
Quote:

Originally Posted by Krishna
I suggest you wait a few days (5 to be exact), because CES is just around the corner. Alot of new players coming out then. I think you are the perfect candidate for an Iaudio M5 which will mostlikely be realeased at the end of January.

eek.gif
- I leave on the 1st of feb

Dec 31, 2004 at 8:37 PM Post #6 of 166
I'd recommend the Archos Gmini xs200, but the battery life is only about 9 hours.
eek.gif

Dec 31, 2004 at 8:48 PM Post #7 of 166
Do not believe the hours they give you for players.

I have an iRiver H320. Make no mistake - I love it. I absolutely love it.
But, you won't get 15+ hrs of playback unless you are listening to strictly mp3's with all sound options lowered/turned off. If you listen to your music in ogg, and turn on the sound options to your liking, you are looking at like 9 hours of playing.

If you are just playing ogg, or just sound options (exclusively) then you'll get 12-13 hours of playback.

The iRiver also has disappointing firmware updates. This was a problem in their iHP-1x0 series, and continues to be a problem (so far) with the H320, and H340.

No gapless playback.

If you don't mind losing the clock and DRM capabilities (ie music files protected by DRM) on the US iRiver, flash it to the 1.25K korean firmware, and you will receive USB-on-the-go (works only with some products) and video playback!

www.misticriver.net for better clues to exactly What you're looking at in the iRiver H3x0 series.

Dec 31, 2004 at 9:11 PM Post #9 of 166
Seijang if that was directed to me I have the archos player and I average about 9 hours :/

Dec 31, 2004 at 9:14 PM Post #10 of 166
Oh Morphling, sorry for the misunderstanding!

When I said "they" I meant the company reported timings. While many companies are accurate/near accurate, they do not reflect ACTUAL usage with options turned out, which is what I was referring to.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 31, 2004 at 9:27 PM Post #11 of 166
For the Karma, you might want to add gapless playback, lossless support (FLAC, all compression levels), and support for any OS that supports Java over the ethernet on the dock (BSD, Linux, Unix, Solaris, et al)

Dec 31, 2004 at 9:41 PM Post #12 of 166
Quote:

Originally Posted by aeriyn
The only MP3 player that I think is actually better than the iPod for sound quality is the Rio Karma.

NJB3
icon10.gif

#Hailed with the best portable sound quality of any portable, excepting hi-fi vintage PCDPs
#Looks like a PCDP, and for all those thieves care, it is one.
#If some one was plotting to steal it, they would need to take on long term weight training regimen, just to lift it.
#Long battery life, when second battery is added (22 hrs, per spec, actually ~16-17)
#optional remote, with fm receiver
#can record
#Optical in
#2 line outs
#User replaceable battery.
#Easily upgradeable 2.5" hdd

A clear winner.

Dec 31, 2004 at 9:54 PM Post #13 of 166
Quote:

Why does everyone think the Rio Karma is ugly?

because it doesn't look like an ipod
tongue.gif
. It really is ugly IMO. It has some great features and is small, but it just doesn't have the looks other players have.

Jan 1, 2005 at 12:20 AM Post #15 of 166
Since you want to use your digital camera as well, I would go for the h320. Battery life is quite good, USBOTG, colour screen for viewing your photos, it sounds great, good warranty/customer service and most importantly drag and drop so you can just attatch it to any computer and drop whatever on it.

edit: and if you get the international version it comes with a battery pack, making it much thicker but you get a lot more battery time, advertised 50 hours I believe. Or you could always make your own battery pack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back