iPod killer at last?
May 30, 2003 at 2:57 PM Post #2 of 35
seems to have both line out and digital out.

Pretty nice except:

USB2 not firewire (firewire is at least 50% faster)

only 20mw/channel (less than Ipod's 30mw/channel)

not sure on wav support since it only lists mp3, wma, and asf in certain places. It seems to record in a low sample rate wav format

only 10Gb HD

May 30, 2003 at 3:11 PM Post #3 of 35
hehe... you are a little late to this news

just load up the iHP-100 sheet on my webpage and you can compare to all the other DAPs out there
biggrin.gif

May 30, 2003 at 5:08 PM Post #5 of 35
Quote:

USB2 not firewire (firewire is at least 50% faster)

ughh how is firewire 50% faster than usb2???

May 30, 2003 at 5:44 PM Post #6 of 35
Quote:

First of all, forget the max throughput specs. They are meaningless. Real world benchmarks are what matter in this game. The only real benchmarks I've seen consistently rated firewire much faster (something like 50%) in terms of transfer rate. I was quite surprised actually. I was seriously considering buying a zen usb2 and noticed that the firewire version was much more expensive and virtually unavailable. So internet research...

Unfortunately, at the moment I can't find the link to the published benchmarks. I can tell you though that it was not a mac site or anything. Seemed pretty unbiased to me.

OTOH, after doing a quick search, I just found a guy that did a few external drive tests with firewire vs. usb on his mac and the USB2 was able to keep up on some (although not all) of the tests. So perhaps my conclusion was premature.

Anyone else have any links to actual tests?

Edit: Alright here are some links for you skeptics out there:

http://www.digit-life.com/articles/usb20vsfirewire/

http://barefeats.com/fire26.html

http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/s...393574,00.html

Disclaimer:I do not own a mac and probably never will--although I do admire the OS

May 30, 2003 at 5:50 PM Post #7 of 35
idd Firewire has a greater bandwidth that USB2 ever has. Firewire2 is coming out soon - but anyways speed isnt important - sound quality is - IPOD is the way.

May 30, 2003 at 6:08 PM Post #9 of 35
iHP-100's Sound quality doesn't look too bad on paper, 20 mW per channel @ 16 ohm imp, though I read 26 mW rms (13 mW per channel) @ 16 ohm imp/16 mW rms (8 mW per channel) @ 32 ohm imp too.

A bit conflicting resources, let's believe iRiver and hang on to the 20 mW per channel for now.

Ok, statisticly speaking that's not topping iPod's quality, but it does have the optical line-in and -out. Plus, these figures don't mean that much to me, since there are players doing only 5 mW @ 16 imp that sound better than high-end stuff. It all comes down to personal interpretation, of course (and the right headphones, duh).

Pricetag in japan is $399, I guess you US-dudes/galls can count on that price too. For us - poor Europeans - it's gonna cost some more, my estimate is $ 449, maybe even more since it's on pre-sale for $550 here.

May 30, 2003 at 7:58 PM Post #10 of 35
old news

this was the player that was slated to be released in march... then it was delayed to june. Now that it's june, they'll probably say Q3 2003 and release it in august.

The iHP-100 is an awesome player... on paper. We have to wait and see how the interface and sound quality hold up to the other players on the market.

May 30, 2003 at 8:41 PM Post #11 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by XtremeD
idd Firewire has a greater bandwidth that USB2 ever has. Firewire2 is coming out soon - but anyways speed isnt important - sound quality is - IPOD is the way.

FireWire 2, or rather FireWire 800 is already out.

May 30, 2003 at 8:41 PM Post #12 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by Flasken
[size=medium]I HATE BABEL FISH[/size]

rolleyes.gif

[size=medium]Don't Panic[/size]

May 30, 2003 at 8:55 PM Post #13 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by AIM9x
We have to wait and see how the interface and sound quality hold up to the other players on the market.

Let me just say once again for interface, that GUI is the ugliest thing I've ever seen.

May 30, 2003 at 11:41 PM Post #14 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by tonyjang

LOL, not this again
wink.gif

FireWire (400, the original spec) is significantly faster in real-world use than USB2.0. FireWire's specs are for sustained data transfer, and are applicable even in a multi-device (shared bus) setup. USB2.0's (misleading) specs are only applicable for short bursts, and even then only in a "perfect" setup (a single USB2.0 bus hosting a single USB2.0 device, with no other devices or hubs attached).

That's the short version. Don't make me post the long version
wink.gif

May 30, 2003 at 11:55 PM Post #15 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
LOL, not this again
wink.gif

FireWire (400, the original spec) is significantly faster in real-world use than USB2.0. FireWire's specs are for sustained data transfer, and are applicable even in a multi-device (shared bus) setup. USB2.0's (misleading) specs are only applicable for short bursts, and even then only in a "perfect" setup (a single USB2.0 bus hosting a single USB2.0 device, with no other devices or hubs attached).

That's the short version. Don't make me post the long version
wink.gif

Common MacDEF, post the long one..
smily_headphones1.gif

Maybe you should write this down in a file, save it on your computer and just post it when needed.. or put it on a web site, and just link to it as require.d
smily_headphones1.gif

I've often wondered why Apple doesn't use some firewire-like protocol for an internal hard-drive interface - bypassing the need for an IDE interface in the chipset, and then just sell devices to convert the IDE/ATA interface to the firewire form..

or better yet, just develop new firewire interface hard drives.
smily_headphones1.gif

Firewire 400 beats Serial ATA 150.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back