iPod... IT'S ALIVE, IGOR!
Jan 16, 2008 at 3:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

strangemusic

100+ Head-Fier
My beloved 80g video iPod recently caught a case of the "hard drive click-clicky disease" and, while functional in most aspects, it locks up very often and has trouble syncing up new files (by which I mean, it crashes when I try to sync new files). Plus, my warranty coverage is worn out. I have decided that I don't want to scrap the thing, as spending the cash for a shiny new model is out of the question, and I've heard that there are numerous 3rd party options for having your deceased player dissected and given a replacement brain, at which point it will spring back to life and portable audio joy will continue as before. Has anyone had an HD replacement done, and through whom, and what can you tell me about it? Reliable? Sketchy? Good results? Advice?

Jan 17, 2008 at 9:32 AM Post #2 of 6
Guess you could go for an iMod if you have $250USD - supposedly better sound and Vinnie will do the drive if you ask nicely...

Jan 17, 2008 at 10:34 AM Post #3 of 6
Take a look HERE.

Disassembly guide. As you can see, its a fairly straight-forward and simple process, requiring just a bit of dexterity and patience. Buy a new 1.8" drive, if it doesnt come with the plastic disassembly tools, most replacement battery kits do include them, so you can take this chance to install a fresh battery as well.
Best of luck to you, sir.
wink.gif

Jan 17, 2008 at 11:25 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by poo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guess you could go for an iMod if you have $250USD - supposedly better sound and Vinnie will do the drive if you ask nicely...

Agreed
wink.gif
Although if you're short of cash, the drive is very easy to replace if you are slow, careful and patient.

100GB is $40 more than an 80. I am still waiting for the 120 to be in stock, it's delayed.

100GB Hard Drive for iPod (MK1011GAH): RapidRepair

Users who are viewing this thread

Back