iPod is fried - what next?
Feb 7, 2006 at 4:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

waylman

100+ Head-Fier
So my 3rd gen iPod is finished...iTunes not loading...crashing my computer. I will not be buying another iPod. What I would like:

-at least 20GB
-excellent sound (good EQ)
-browse by folder
-FLAC support
-good battery life

Video would be nice but is not really a concern. I want this thing to pump out the tunes. It will be used with Senn HD20's.

Feb 7, 2006 at 4:55 PM Post #2 of 18
flac support is really gonna narrow down your search. Off the top of my head I can only think of the Iaudio X5, Iriver HP1xx series and 3xx series that fit your criteria.

Feb 7, 2006 at 5:08 PM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by TonySunshine
flac support is really gonna narrow down your search. Off the top of my head I can only think of the Iaudio X5, Iriver HP1xx series and 3xx series that fit your criteria.

I suppose I could drop FLAC if it'll save me a lot of money. I'm in Canada and see the x5 20gb is going for $327 which is a little more than I'd like to spend.

Feb 7, 2006 at 5:52 PM Post #4 of 18
Get another iPod and drop iTunes. Look at third party software.

I have never had a single problem with an iPod and I've had one since 2nd Gen and I've never used iTunes.

Feb 7, 2006 at 6:00 PM Post #5 of 18
Well even if you drop the flac support, there's only the archos players left, cause they're the only ones - beside the iaudio's - that support browsing by folders, and are still available new. players like the x202s even support both - id3- and by folder browsing - without the need of software. the player can build its own database. batterylife is excellent, up to 17 hours. so if can get one in canada, you should take a look at them.
If you're in for an used player, you should definetly check out the irivers, and put rockbox on them. but they are pretty rare and hard to come buy.

Feb 7, 2006 at 6:37 PM Post #6 of 18
Or you could wait a wee while for rockbox on the iPod is totally functional. It's functional now albeit a bit buggy. Don't have to use iTunes AFAIK but you have to have a pretty well organised file structure though to make it as good as database browsing.

Feb 7, 2006 at 6:39 PM Post #7 of 18
I'm not sure your iPod is dead...

I had the same problam with my 3rd gen (crushing computer, blue screen, itunes not responding), and after few re-installing of the ipod software it got fixed....

Take some time and start removing and installing the driver till it's getting back to normal (hopefully)

Feb 7, 2006 at 7:01 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yotam
I'm not sure your iPod is dead...

I had the same problam with my 3rd gen (crushing computer, blue screen, itunes not responding), and after few re-installing of the ipod software it got fixed....

Take some time and start removing and installing the driver till it's getting back to normal (hopefully)

This is true..it still works. I'm just sick of f'ing around with it. I think iTunes sucks and I really dont want to use any software with it at all. I just want it to show up as a drive in My Computer so I can drag tunes to it there. I'd use RockBox but it doesn't support 3rd gen iPods.

Thanks for the suggestions all...looks like an iAudio x5 will fit the bill.

Feb 7, 2006 at 7:09 PM Post #9 of 18
Haha there is a chance that the ipod is still good! If it's not too much trouble, you should try it on from another computer, just to make sure it is the ipod that's broken. I had a similar problem once, and after i switched to another usb port, somehow everything went fine. But if OP would like a change, regardless of your ipod's health, I would recommand iAudio X5 (x5 fits everyone of the specs you listed), or if you can put up with tag browsing, Sony NW-HD5.

Feb 7, 2006 at 7:34 PM Post #10 of 18
Check the rockbox topic, you can see that the 3rd gen is allmost completed (some trubels with the lcd driver, thats what i've seen there..)

Edit:
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_digital
talked to the man (slimx) working on the 3g port and he says he has finished porting the lcd driver but gets a ata driver error when it boots up.

I assume when he fixes this, we will have rockbox on the 3g ipods!

Feb 7, 2006 at 7:39 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yotam
Check the rockbox topic, you can see that the 3rd gen is allmost completed (some trubels with the lcd driver, thats what i've seen there..)

Edit:

sweet! I'll hold off on purchasing the x5 for now.

Feb 7, 2006 at 9:15 PM Post #13 of 18
I have the iRiver H320 and it is a great DAP, it has 20gb, does not need any software, and has a great screen with video capability. Pretty cheap too, check it out. good luck!

Feb 8, 2006 at 1:15 AM Post #14 of 18
Both the iHP-120 and H320 aren't terribly expensive or hard to come by. Check eBay. I just got a refurb iHP-120 for $200 USD shipped, plus another $15 for a 3 year warranty. Look around and I'm sure you'll find someone shipping to Canada

Feb 8, 2006 at 3:12 AM Post #15 of 18
You fried it? Try baking the next one in the oven?
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back