Ipod in the car
Jan 14, 2008 at 6:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ronnielee54

Headphoneus Supremus
Recently upgraded car stereo to Alpine CDA9885 so I could use my Ipod in the car. Original plan was to buy Nano and leave it in the car all the time, but have been reading on a few car audio forums that the new Ipods (Nano and Touch specifically) are having problems interfacing with pretty much all car recievers. Don't know this for a fact but that is what I have been reading.

Now the plan is to buy new Classic for my everyday use at work and move my 5.5g 30 gig to car. The reason I had originally planned on the Nano was no hard drive to be affected by vibration (if it would). Do you think wrapping Ipod in foam rubber would reduce vibration safely, or do I even need to bother?

Jan 14, 2008 at 6:59 PM Post #2 of 10
I have my 40 gig ipod (attached to my car stereo aux-in) in the car all the time inside the glove compartment. No problems with vibration whatsoever... so it shouldn't be an issue...

Jan 15, 2008 at 5:16 PM Post #5 of 10
no.. i use my 6th gen 80GB ipod in the car..
though i dont keep it in the car all the time.. i remove it from there when i am not sitting in the car..
wink.gif

no problems with the vibrations as all..

Jan 18, 2008 at 3:03 AM Post #6 of 10
You probably know this, but you can damage the batter very quickly by letting it get too hot in the car. I once left a Ipod in the sun in the car for 1 hour. The battery lost half of its charging capacity.

Jan 18, 2008 at 4:02 AM Post #7 of 10
Keep it out of the sun and there really shouldn't be an issue - the cable should be secure and I would reccomend getting a remote with a pass-through dock. That way you can put the remote on your steering wheel and not fiddle with it in the car.

Personally, I have one of those Monster iCarPlay Dock connecting radio transmitters (by far the best sounding one I have heard). It just makes life easier - although I sold my remote b/c I don't drive at school - still got the cable for in the summers though.

Jan 18, 2008 at 1:36 PM Post #8 of 10
I will be connecting it to car stereo with adapter that came with the car stereo. It plugs into the docking connector on bottom of Ipod and to a pigtail on back of stereo and allows for control of Ipod through the car stereo. The plan is to route cable into the glove box of my car, and that is where I wiil keep the Ipod . Heat and sun should not be an issue I hope.

After reading all the negativity (firmware) about the new Classics I might wait till March and see if Apple gets the firmware fixed.

Jan 21, 2008 at 7:56 AM Post #10 of 10
I have a H/K Drive+Play connected to a 4th gen ipod that I leave in my glovebox. It's been there all winter and dealt with some rough roads, everything is still fine. Just put it under some books so it doesn't rattle around. Between the suspension and the inertia of the car, your ipod is enjoying a smoother ride than if you were just walking with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back