iPod in the car via cassette... Monster vs Belkin
Aug 11, 2005 at 10:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

BDA_ABAT

1000+ Head-Fier
Just a quick FYI for those considering running their iPod through their car's cassette adapter.

I initially tried the Belkin auto dock connector. Was intrigued because it allows you to connect the cassette adapter via the dock's line out. Unfortunately, it's not JUST the line out... Belkin includes an amplifier that can't be by-passed (or, at least not without surgery to the unit).

The sound quality was not good. Really muddy, over-emphasized bass that easily distorted (at least in my very modest car stereo... 99 Passat with base audio). When the volume was adjusted upward on the Belkin volume control, the distortion was terrible. When the volume was lowered, I needed to push the volume on the car stereo to the point where tape hiss was prominent. And, the sound was still crappy! There seemed to be no acceptable sounding middle ground.

After putting up with this for a couple weeks, I happened to see the Monster Ultra Low Profile iPod charger at Amazon for < $30
link!

The Monster product doesn't include an amp... just access to the line out. Just plug the cassette adapter into the charger and the iPod line out feeds to the cassette player of the car stereo. Volume is totally controlled by the car system.

Sound quality is MUCH improved! No more bass heavy distortion, no more tape hiss... much cleaner and clearer sound for a bargain price.

Bruce

Users who are viewing this thread

Back