iPod in the car - sweeeeeeeet!
Dec 1, 2004 at 12:18 AM Post #16 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyrillic
Is there a way to do this without having a CD player?

www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1034111

Yes but I would never even think about it
plainface.gif

Dec 1, 2004 at 2:22 AM Post #17 of 27
Lol you guys are nuts I already solved this problem easily. They sell things that allow you to plug in a cassete which hooks up to the iPod, and it's as simple as that.

Dec 1, 2004 at 5:41 PM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

Lol you guys are nuts I already solved this problem easily. They sell things that allow you to plug in a cassete which hooks up to the iPod, and it's as simple as that.

Yes, this works....but you will take a pretty severe quality hit as opposed to using a line in connect directly from your player. I went from a cassette adapter to the line-in unit mentioned above. There's a big difference.

Dec 1, 2004 at 5:55 PM Post #20 of 27
You've convinced me to take this approach to use my iPod in the car. I simply can't stand the sound quality with a cassette adapeter, or the FM transmitter.

Jan 28, 2005 at 7:32 PM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by skr
You've convinced me to take this approach to use my iPod in the car. I simply can't stand the sound quality with a cassette adapeter, or the FM transmitter.

FM transmitter =
rolleyes.gif

Jan 28, 2005 at 7:34 PM Post #22 of 27
I agree. The FM Transmitter is complete crap...

My mother got a Mini Cooper and in her car she got the iPod pluggin, and she really enjoys it. It charges the unit in her car for her, and controls it just like a CD.

Controls are easy to use, and sound quality is great, especially out of our custom HK speakers
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 28, 2005 at 7:38 PM Post #23 of 27
Quote:

that's the thing - my stupid minivan loader is all full of the cds and tuner, but no freaking cassette deck. how dare they phase that format out!

Jan 28, 2005 at 7:52 PM Post #24 of 27
There several places online that sell line input adapters for the 9 pin(depending on model) input on most head units. I've done this with a 99 Grand Prix, a 96 Eclipse Spyder, and my 99 Monte Carlo.
It's actually easier to find non-iPod adapters, so it works with ANY source capable of suppying a signal near line lever to a pair of RCA jacks (READ: any headphone port). Hardest thing to do in most cases is working with the dash panels in your car. BE CAREFUL with those clips, you dont want to have half the plastic hanging there unsupported for 3 weeks until you get to the dealer to buy a the $.30 replacement clip.
wink.gif

Jan 28, 2005 at 10:49 PM Post #25 of 27
I did this a few months back. But I have a direct RCA line in to my Alpine head unit. Sound quality is excellent. Plus I am able to directly control my iPod through my stereo with an add-on adapter. I can basically hid my iPod in the trunk and control it up front. Like having a 300 disc CD changer in the car. I love it.

I also have a CD changer and XM radio going direct line in to my head unit. Oh the choices.

Jan 30, 2005 at 4:28 PM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by ghart999
I did this a few months back. But I have a direct RCA line in to my Alpine head unit. Sound quality is excellent. Plus I am able to directly control my iPod through my stereo with an add-on adapter. I can basically hid my iPod in the trunk and control it up front. Like having a 300 disc CD changer in the car. I love it.

I also have a CD changer and XM radio going direct line in to my head unit. Oh the choices.

Man, that's what I need to do. I just hope that someday all cars come with the provisions to have this. I just don't have the ability or time to do it myself.

Jan 31, 2005 at 8:01 PM Post #27 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by RunsWithScissors
self installed thanks to some help from www.installdr.com

I was unable to check out that site. It required a password. Anyone have any ideas?

I am trying to find instructions for a 2001 VW Passat and a 2001 Toyota 4Runner to hook in my Ipod Mini. I am not sure if I want to do down this path, as I am not the handiest guy around. But having access to all of those songs for my commute and at the quality of hardwiring, I might have to take the chance that I can figure it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back