iPod impedance issue with Shure E5 110 Ohm?
Jul 16, 2005 at 8:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

remcoy

New Head-Fier
Considering the bass level drop using an ipod with low impedance phones (most in ear models), how does the Shure E5 fare considering it's 110 Ohm impedance?

Jul 16, 2005 at 9:05 PM Post #2 of 10
The E5 has volume to spare on the IPod. No worries. You will never turn it all the way up.

Jul 16, 2005 at 9:33 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by remcoy
Considering the bass level drop using an ipod with low impedance phones (most in ear models), how does the Shure E5 fare considering it's 110 Ohm impedance?

The E5's aren't really 110 ohms. The nominal impedance is measured at 1khz. It looks like the impedance from DC to around 400 Hz is 25 ohms. The 3db corner frequency is around 32 hz. I think that the stock earbuds for the iPod are around 20ohms. You're probably ok.

Jul 16, 2005 at 9:43 PM Post #4 of 10
Isn't sensitivity more relevant? The E5c are more sensitive and louder than any other canalphone or headphone I've used. I listen quite loud, and most of the time my Shure E5c was at 50% volume from my iPod. Much more and it's earbleeding levels.

Best regards,

-Jason

Jul 16, 2005 at 10:04 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
Isn't sensitivity more relevant? The E5c are more sensitive and louder than any other canalphone or headphone I've used. I listen quite loud, and most of the time my Shure E5c was at 50% volume from my iPod. Much more and it's earbleeding levels.

Best regards,

-Jason

Sure, sensitivity is important, but if the headphone and amplifier act like a high-pass filter with the cut-off frequency too high, the headphone transducer would need to be very sensitive to recover the signal below the cutoff.

Wow, the UE10's must be really sensitive in comparison the E5's, I usually listen to music with the volume control set between the lowest volume setting that is not muted and about 1/3. I hope you're not going deaf.

Jul 17, 2005 at 1:10 PM Post #6 of 10
My E5c's are louder then my E4c's directly out of my iPod. I was a bit worried getting the E5c's, but when I plugged in, it was head banging time!!
biggrin.gif

Jul 17, 2005 at 5:24 PM Post #8 of 10
they don't have a impendence problem, well not with the ipod. I use them straight out of the ipod for almost a year. But once I added the SMv3 and the line out, the headphone were taken to a different level. I found more detail in the highs and bass was more controlled, well having better punch. Overall it was like a new phone. Just something to think about.

-Chris

Aug 2, 2005 at 12:22 PM Post #9 of 10
In contrast to the experiences above, I think I most definitely do have an impedance* problem when using my Shure E5c's with my just purchased 60gb colour ipod (UK model # M9830B/A - which I believe is the equivalent of the latest/current US 60gb model).

The issue - a flat, fairly lifeless sound out of my e5c's with which I was somewhat non-plussed straight off the bat. I couldn't initially put my finger on the problem but it just seemed to lack the dynamics and liveliness that I've gotten used to with my E5c's using a variety of sources - notebook, ipaq, & even my cheapy 1gb no-brand mp3 player. With the ipod I've so far listened to lossless files across quite a few music genres. I've been listening via headphone out, and flat eq (though for the first time with the E5c's on a DAP I felt compelled to experiment briefly with bass boost, so completely AWOL is the bass).

It is still early days, and I've yet to buy the dock to let me try the line out to my Total Bithead amp & E5c's. That said, the killer was just now at work, when I did a quick and dirty back to back comparison using a few 320kbps mp3's (Razorlight, a brit/indie band - some great tracks!) which I also have stored on my sony ericsson k750i phone. (The phone has a modded headset lead/socket via which I used my E5c's.) The outright winner in soundstaging and dynamics for every track? - my damn phone! Admittedly it is reputedly a good sounding phone, but against the latest and greatest ipod!?!

To say this is a trifle dissappointing is an understatement.

*Other than defects in my particular ipod - which seems a little unlikely as everything about the ipod apart from the dynamics of the sound is faultless - this impedance issue, which I'm not sure I fully grasp, is the only explanation so far that makes any sense.

What to do? Advice needed!

Aug 2, 2005 at 12:33 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by jakenz
In contrast to the experiences above, I think I most definitely do have an impedance* problem when using my Shure E5c's with my just purchased 60gb colour ipod (UK model # M9830B/A - which I believe is the equivalent of the latest/current US 60gb model).

The issue - a flat, fairly lifeless sound out of my e5c's with which I was somewhat non-plussed straight off the bat. I couldn't initially put my finger on the problem but it just seemed to lack the dynamics and liveliness that I've gotten used to with my E5c's using a variety of sources - notebook, ipaq, & even my cheapy 1gb no-brand mp3 player. With the ipod I've so far listened to lossless files across quite a few music genres. I've been listening via headphone out, and flat eq (though for the first time with the E5c's on a DAP I felt compelled to experiment briefly with bass boost, so completely AWOL is the bass).

It is still early days, and I've yet to buy the dock to let me try the line out to my Total Bithead amp & E5c's. That said, the killer was just now at work, when I did a quick and dirty back to back comparison using a few 320kbps mp3's (Razorlight, a brit/indie band - some great tracks!) which I also have stored on my sony ericsson k750i phone. (The phone has a modded headset lead/socket via which I used my E5c's.) The outright winner in soundstaging and dynamics for every track? - my damn phone! Admittedly it is reputedly a good sounding phone, but against the latest and greatest ipod!?!

To say this is a trifle dissappointing is an understatement.

*Other than defects in my particular ipod - which seems a little unlikely as everything about the ipod apart from the dynamics of the sound is faultless - this impedance issue, which I'm not sure I fully grasp, is the only explanation so far that makes any sense.

What to do? Advice needed!

I say get an amp. Has to be a good one because of the senitivity issue. And use the line out. You already have quite a bit invested in the headphones. Get a sr-71 or SMv3 and then see if you like the sound. Line out is going to have better quality sound to begin with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back