iPod-->iAudio X5
Aug 1, 2005 at 5:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

ripfrankwhite

100+ Head-Fier
Has anyone here gone from an iPod to an X5? I'm definately thinking about it. I don't want to be a traitor, but the X5 is just screaming my name. I think it should just be one or the other. I don't wanna own two DAPs. That's silly.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 1, 2005 at 6:00 AM Post #2 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ripfrankwhite
Has anyone here gone from an iPod to an X5? I'm definately thinking about it. I don't want to be a traitor, but the X5 is just screaming my name. I think it should just be one or the other. I don't wanna own two DAPs. That's silly.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yep. I love it to bits. The iPod made my E4Cs sound like poop. Now they sound very, VERY good. Like a 180 degree turnaround. Night and day difference.

And the screen is very good.. UI is alright, and it is just so cool looking.

Aug 1, 2005 at 6:00 AM Post #3 of 14
It should make your UE-5C's sing.

Aug 1, 2005 at 6:05 AM Post #4 of 14
yeah I am thinking the exact same thing, but i dont know if its worth the hassle of reripping/converting all of my files, plus the extra 80$ that I will have to spend, unless i get top dollar for my ipod or i find a really good deal on a X5 i dont think im gonna get one...

Aug 1, 2005 at 6:07 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by smittysan89
yeah I am thinking the exact same thing, but i dont know if its worth the hassle of reripping/converting all of my files, plus the extra 80$ that I will have to spend, unless i get top dollar for my ipod or i find a really good deal on a X5 i dont think im gonna get one...

If you plan to upgrade in the future, you should rip to FLAC anyways.

The X5 is totally worth it, IMO.. but I guess if $80 is a lot to you :-/.

The iPod is perfectly fine if you plan on using an amp with it. However.. I don't like big bulges in my pants (
3000smile.gif
).

Aug 1, 2005 at 6:14 AM Post #6 of 14
well yeah i might just end up buying a mint or something...im not sure...

well 80$ is alot to me now, since im 16 without a job atm, new car that i have to pay insurance for, and the fact that in this string of last week and this coming week i will have bought: HD600 w/650 drivers, sr60, ksc75, Canare Custom mini-RCA, and a Little Dot II tube amp...
580smile.gif

so yeah!

Aug 1, 2005 at 6:43 AM Post #7 of 14
yeah, i'm thinking the same thing (moving to the X5). I hate apple for taking so long for an update. I mean, all their ipod models are the same. From the 1st generation to the 4th generation, there has been very little change.

Aug 1, 2005 at 7:23 AM Post #8 of 14
I'm not sure I like the whole folder system of the X5 though. I like the ID3 system. I can just browse thru all albums, artists, genres, songs... the X5 is not as convenient. But I think I'm still gonna get one.

Aug 1, 2005 at 8:21 AM Post #9 of 14
If you update the firmware, X5 will have ID3 tag compatibility. Eh... I think.

I like the X5. I just have one complaint: the line-out is on the mini-dock and not on the player proper; the mini-dock attachment is flimsy and it comes off very easily. Is there a USB line-out cable for the X5 like iPods have?

Aug 1, 2005 at 8:36 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ripfrankwhite
I'm not sure I like the whole folder system of the X5 though. I like the ID3 system. I can just browse thru all albums, artists, genres, songs... the X5 is not as convenient. But I think I'm still gonna get one.

ID3 tagging is confirmed to be added in a later firmware upgrade.

Sep 20, 2005 at 1:06 PM Post #12 of 14
I was using my iPod for at least 3 months straight, but got tired of the sound it gave me from different cans. I went out and got the X5L, and I never regreted it. I like the fact that you can gently raise the EQ settings insted of the set ones on the iPod. Makes a big difference with colorful type cans. Plus the sound is, IMHO, a bit better. You will love it, no doubt.

Sep 20, 2005 at 1:19 PM Post #13 of 14
Pick up the latest issue of sound and vision (or was it home theater, I will have to check). They did a review of the X5 and compared it to the iPod. It did not do so well.

Sep 20, 2005 at 4:16 PM Post #14 of 14
cheechoz , i was just wondering whether the battery life actually was as good as they say it is on the x5l? particularly when playing flac, how long do you manage to get off it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back