iPod hiss?
Dec 31, 2002 at 2:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

bjjp2

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all. First time poster. I've had an iPod (PC) for a couple of months now. One thing I've noticed that's been bothering me is constant background hiss. I don't notice it much while the music's playing but it's very noticeable during quiet parts and at the beginning of songs. It's worse on some songs than others. Any suggestions as to what's causing this and how to fix it? Some info: I'm using EAC and Lame 3.92 alt-preset standard. I'm listening primarily through Ety-4P's, and just got a Super Mini amp. Thanks for any suggestions.

Dec 31, 2002 at 2:46 AM Post #2 of 10
I just got an iPod as well (and listening with Etys 4Ps) for the PC. I hear no hiss at all, even with no music playing. Maybe you have a faulty one? Do you get the hiss with them direct or with the amp?

Best of luck. BTW - the Etys sound pretty good with them straight out of the headphone jack. With a fixup.net adapter, the iPod powers a 4S pretty well too (but sounds sweeter with an amp).

Dec 31, 2002 at 8:50 AM Post #4 of 10
hello!

it might be the source of your music when it was converted to mp3, etc. if not, call applecare. they are the greatest. they won't stop or hang up on you until the problem is solved.... just call before 90 days (that might be when telephone support ends, but not sure).... good luck! isn't ipod lovely? i love mine....
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 31, 2002 at 11:29 AM Post #5 of 10
I use an iPod with 4P's and a amp sometimes. Never any hiss. I'm betting on the MP3 files. I'm on the Mac side and rip at 192 VBR and the quality is fine. As someone else asked do you get the hiss without the amp? Try another set of headphones. I had an early version of the Airhead that would hiss with the 4P's.
cool.gif

Dec 31, 2002 at 2:32 PM Post #7 of 10
don't drop the ipod so much.
biggrin.gif

sounds like you may have some sort of defect in your unit. i'd give it one last try from a fresh new cd and copy over both wave and mp3 versions of a track or two. if there is still hiss, i would definitely call them up and rma it or whatever they do.

Dec 31, 2002 at 4:42 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by bjjp2
Hi all. First time poster. I've had an iPod (PC) for a couple of months now. One thing I've noticed that's been bothering me is constant background hiss.

Check your firmware. Is it up-to-date? The Mac-iPod had a hissing problem that was solved even before the Win-Pod was out...

Jan 1, 2003 at 6:43 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by PodMan
I have a first-generation iPod 5GB and have never noticed any hiss except from some songs where I know for sure that the hiss lies in the original source material.

Same here. And my 20 gig exhibits no hiss, either. Must be in the recording.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back