Ipod Hifi Initial sound impression
Mar 2, 2006 at 7:22 PM Post #16 of 22
I love how he compares the sound of the Hi-Fi to that of Bose speaker systems, and says the Hi-Fi is as good, or better, for less than half the cost. Not much of a boast, now is it.
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 2, 2006 at 8:25 PM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by skudmunky
I love how he compares the sound of the Hi-Fi to that of Bose speaker systems, and says the Hi-Fi is as good, or better, for less than half the cost. Not much of a boast, now is it.
evil_smiley.gif

well, that's ostensibly directed at the mass market, many of whom consider bose the be-all and end-all in sound. how strongly jobs actually believes that, i don't know. marketing ploy...that's all.

Mar 2, 2006 at 8:25 PM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by skudmunky
evil_smiley.gif

If Bose products costed 1/2 as much as they did (or maybe more than half), they wouldn't be bad. The problem with Bose is that you can a better product for much cheaper. The same doesn't generally hold true of Apple products, which is why I never really got the ipod/Bose comparison.

Mar 2, 2006 at 9:01 PM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth
Really? How many BOSE Wave Music Systems do you see in peoples homes? I've seen them all over the place....
...I've never quite understood why Apple get such negative responses to their products from a particularly vocal minority. I'm sorry they didn't make it for you, or to your specifications, or lied in exactly the same way that every other manufaturer on the planet does about the quality of their product, but with the market standing that they now have, in a sense they are victims of their own success and do actually need to continue to come through on the performance claims of their products.

You must roll with people that have mucho more dinero than I do. I've never seen a BOSE Wave Music System anywhere. Please note I love and enjoy all three of my iPods (5G/60GB, nano, Shuffle), and am unlikely to own another brand player. I guess I just don't 'get' this particular product.

Mar 2, 2006 at 9:36 PM Post #20 of 22
My wife has a Bose Wave in her bathroom and the thing sounds amazingly good, considering that it's just a glorified boombox. Keep in mind that this thing isn't being marketed to the likes of us. It's obviously aimed at a somewhat upscale mass-market buyer. Rest assured that savvy Apple shareholders everywhere applaud the move.

And what about those $99 iPod cases? With one of those, an Exacto knife, and a little courage, one could actually have a usable slip case.
tongue.gif

Job's statement that he's replacing his (multi-billionaire's) home audio system with the Hi-Fi was undoubtedly said tongue-in-cheek. Either that or his claim of being an audiophile doesn't quite match most of our definitions of the term.

Mar 3, 2006 at 4:04 AM Post #21 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by 9kRPM
No matter how this thing sounds it'll probably still sell well..... along with the amazing new $99 leather cases.
rolleyes.gif

This one might be the exception. The stuff already in the Apple Stores represents better value. Unless Apple boots out those other systems, I have a hard time believing that even an irrational consumer woudln't have second thoughts. There are a LOT of choices (most with better features) in this space, and some farily well known name brands.

In recent history, Apple has marketed well, but even Jobs makes mistakes for time to time. Its usually when he overextends into markets that the company just doesn't understand. To put things in perspective, you need to remember that Apple's success is pretty recent - as little as 6-7 years ago the company was really struggling and a lot of analysts were predicting their demise. They turned things around (Jobs had a lot to do with it), and I'm happy to see it. They've hit a lot of home runs over the last few years, but they're still going to shank the ugly foul ball occasionally.

Its just "bidness"
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 3, 2006 at 4:24 AM Post #22 of 22
My entire family has Bose systems...they like them and enjoy them, but the main reason is because of its simple design. I have to agree with that, I like the design as well, its small and sounds good for its size. I think people buy them because its ready to go out of the box. There are no wires, no extra speakers taking up room, its just the system, it sounds good, and thats that. But I still think they are overpriced for what they are. Its just a convenience.

Apple is very good at marketing and know how to sell a product. I believe this Hi-Fi thing (something I would never buy) will still sell good enough just because of ease of plug and play.

As for that ridiculous leather case, and its "ingenious" ribbon (which apple makes it sound like it created the ribbon), I really hope people aren't that stupid to drop $100 on something that is supposed to make your toy more efficient, not less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back