iPod Headphones/Earphones For All Uses
Oct 4, 2003 at 5:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Mr. X

100+ Head-Fier
I'm thinking of buying the Shure E2c's for commutes and situations that require noise cancellation. I already have the following:

1) Koss KSC-35 (for working out and other activities where I don't want outside noise blocked)
2) D-66 Eggos (for the best possible quality, and not for when I'm on the go)
3) ??? (needed for commutes and public places...for when I'm on the go---something that will prevent leakage so others around will not be able to hear anything)

So, I need something EXTREMELY portable...very small and easy to fit in the same pocket w/ iPod...yet, isolated so that I can listen in places as quiet as a library without others hearing anything.

I've already spent a lot of money on the Eggos and KSC-35's, so I wouldn't want these to blow away the sound from what I already have!! I'm hoping the sound will be almost as good as my other D66's and maybe equal or slightly better than the KSC-35's.
I also need these to be convenient--easy to take on and off and in and out of my pocket.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I don't want to waste any $$$...

Oct 4, 2003 at 6:19 PM Post #3 of 26
I like my E2s with the Ipod. The only reason I am thinking about the Etys is because of this place.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 4, 2003 at 7:31 PM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. X
So, I need something EXTREMELY portable...very small and easy to fit in the same pocket w/ iPod...yet, isolated so that I can listen in places as quiet as a library without others hearing anything.

I personally prefer the Ety ER-6 to the Shure E2c in terms of sound quality. The E2c have a bit more bass, but are lacking in detail, whereas the ER-6 don't have as much bass, but have better mids and highs, IMO. If I have to give up one part of the spectrum, I'd rather give up bass.

Oct 4, 2003 at 7:50 PM Post #6 of 26
I've never tried the ER-6s, but I do have both the eggos and the shures. When I got the E2s, my eggos started living on the shelf, basically. The E2s just do everything better, and I even prefer them in a home environment, because they seem to have much better resolution than the eggos. I also found them to be a good match, tonally, with the ipod.

As long as you're comfortable with the physical aspects of a canalphone, I think you'll be very happy with the E2s. (For a while, at least...
etysmile.gif
)

Oct 6, 2003 at 2:09 AM Post #7 of 26
The clarity of the D66's are absolutetly amazing, IMO. I can't imagine earphones sounding better than headphones, but if those shures really are better than the eggos, then I'll go ahead and sell them.

Oct 6, 2003 at 3:04 AM Post #8 of 26
Whoahh, not so fast
tongue.gif

You should keep the eggos, get the E2s and then A/B them. Nothing worse than a blind jump into something you might not like. Save for a while if you need to. And besides, it's always good to have a range of headphones. I still use my eggos on days when I'm out and I don't feel like sticking anything in my ears, or when it's cold.

I think the clarity of earphones, canal phones at least, comes from the isolation they provide, as well as the nimbleness of the smaller drivers, which have less inertia to contend with (Think of a Mini Cooper's cornering capabiliies compared with a Lincoln Navigator's...). On the other hand, you lose some of the visceral bass that can be so fun. If you keep both, you'll have something for your analytical and your party moods.

Oct 6, 2003 at 9:31 PM Post #9 of 26
Oh no, I would never get rid of them before doing comparisons. I absolutely love my KSC-35's; someone mentioned that the Grado SR-60's sound very similar! If this is true, I would ditch the eggos in a heartbeat to have the great KSC-35 sound in full cans.

Can anyone compare how the E2's sound to the KSC-35's?

Oct 6, 2003 at 10:38 PM Post #10 of 26
Okay, I'm officially done w/ the eggos. They sounded good w/ my Sharp MD portables, but now that I'm strictly iPod, I started listening w/ KSC-35's more. Incredible. The KSC-35's absolutely blow away the D66's. The more I listen, the more I love them. Part of it may be the iPod, part of it may be that I didn't realize how much better KSC-35's were. I'm definitely selling the eggos.

Here's where I stand:
KSC-50----> for working out
KSC-35----> for the ultimate in portable sound
Shure E2--> for isolation (I'm hoping these are as good as advertised; I'm picking them up tomorrow)

So, now it's down to Grado SR-60 vs. KSC-35's. From what I own, the KSC-35's will probably wind up giving me the ultimate sound w/ the iPod.

Will SR-60's provide similar sound to the KSC-35's that's a little bit better in a closed can? If so, I may purchase the cans for my "highest-quality at home listening experience." Otherwise, I'll just let the KSC-35's be my phones for everything outside of working out (KSC-50's) and when I need isolation (E2's).

What does everyone think?

---------
The wealth of knowledge from you head-fiers has been a HUGE help to me. Thanks.

Oct 6, 2003 at 11:21 PM Post #12 of 26
Having owned the KSC35's, Eggos, and SR80's and heard the SR60's several times, the Grados are a big step up from the Koss or Sony, but you realize they're not closed cans (I'm confused by your comments)? The 35's will definitely not give you ultimate sound out of the iPod, but it's very good. All the way up to the 225's (and maybe 590, etc.) the iPod improves even ampless.

Oct 6, 2003 at 11:50 PM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by blessingx
Having owned the KSC35's, Eggos, and SR80's and heard the SR60's several times, the Grados are a big step up from the Koss or Sony, but you realize they're not closed cans (I'm confused by your comments)? The 35's will definitely not give you ultimate sound out of the iPod, but it's very good. All the way up to the 225's (and maybe 590, etc.) the iPod improves even ampless.

Sorry, I can see where it was confusing, let me clarify. I want:

1) workout (KSC-50)
2) isolated (E2 ???)
3) "open ear" portable (KSC-35)
4) home (KSC-35, SR-60, or ???)

So, I've pretty much made up my mind on everything but the pair for outstanding quality when listening to the iPod at home. The pair can either be portable or
non-portable. I'd be happy w/ using the KSC-35's for this purpose, as well, but if there's something a little better w/ similar sound under $100 (SR60?), then I'll purchase them.

Oct 7, 2003 at 12:00 AM Post #14 of 26
In my opinion, in a situation where you have the KSC-35s and the Shure E2s, the SR-60 would be something of a sideways move. If you're looking for superior at-home sound, you may want to consider something like the SR-225s and an amp. I have a setup that mirrors BlessingX's (ipod/mint amp/SR-225), and I would agree that it's a big step up from just the SR-60s with the ipod.

Of course this involves more cash...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 7, 2003 at 12:31 AM Post #15 of 26
i agree with morphineheart. the SR60 is not too much of an upgrade from the KSC-35 (still a great set of cans though). i'd try one of the higher end Grados.

that said, i always thought the iPod was a bit too bright for the KSC-35, or is it the other way around...
confused.gif
i feel the iPod is a bit keen on the treble. anyway... i find the etys ER6 to be a PERFECT match with the iPod, it being so neutral it tames the treble on the iPod. i find the KSC-35 to work well with almost any other source i've tried it with, especially with MDs.

so like MichaelFranks said, get the ER6 and call it a day!

cheers,
BONG

and MR. X "Vienna" is one of synth-pop's greatest songs!
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back