iPod: Headphones directly into the Line-out port (no amp)
Aug 19, 2004 at 8:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

austonia

Headphoneus Supremus
I've heard of people doing this before but just tried it myself and pretty happy with the resuts using BeyerDynamic DT770's (250ohm). volume is just about perfect (loud, not painful) directly from the line-out port on the dock. It also sounds slightly cleaner than the headphone port at equivelant power (around 95%). Even better, iPod's slightly anemic bass seems to tame the accentuated bass on these things to a more reasonable level. Not nearly as fatiguing as I'm used to with an amp supplying power to them. Anyway i don't think the line-out port will work very well with all cans but it seems to match well with high-impedance ones. give it a whirl, post your thoughts...

Aug 19, 2004 at 9:29 PM Post #2 of 6
confused.gif

I was always under the impression if that you plug your headphones into a true line out you cannot control the volume of the line out. Meaning that whatever set volume the line out is at (usually very quiet), that's it.

Or am i just misunderstanding your post?

Aug 19, 2004 at 9:54 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by IdiotTech
That is correct the line out level is set. So when you plug your cans into it you will not be able to change the level. You will be stuck with what you hear coming out of it.

But you can by a line-level adjuster (they called it a headphone volume adjuster) from RadioShack for $5 and that will do the trick. I tried the with my etys and even though it sounds cleaner, there's no bass. I should have my sensaphonics by the end of the month and I'm going to try this again. The are easier to power and should have a lot much bass so I might be able to go without an amp.

Aug 19, 2004 at 11:43 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by austonia
I've heard of people doing this before but just tried it myself and pretty happy with the resuts using BeyerDynamic DT770's (250ohm). volume is just about perfect (loud, not painful) directly from the line-out port on the dock. It also sounds slightly cleaner than the headphone port at equivelant power (around 95%). Even better, iPod's slightly anemic bass seems to tame the accentuated bass on these things to a more reasonable level. Not nearly as fatiguing as I'm used to with an amp supplying power to them. Anyway i don't think the line-out port will work very well with all cans but it seems to match well with high-impedance ones. give it a whirl, post your thoughts...

Well if the volume is about right with 250 ohm headphones, I wouldn't advise trying this with low impedence phones. I can only imagine what would happen if I tried this with my PortaPros
eek.gif

Aug 19, 2004 at 11:49 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Watchdog
Well if the volume is about right with 250 ohm headphones, I wouldn't advise trying this with low impedence phones. I can only imagine what would happen if I tried this with my PortaPros
eek.gif

As I said, for $5 dollar, you have a way to adjust the volume. Not too much to spend if you already have a Sik din or pocketdock. It didn't sound right with etys but it may work with other headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back