Ipod headphone output
May 9, 2006 at 11:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Sebastianbf

100+ Head-Fier
I'm planning to get an Ipod video 60GB. I've been doing some search on the internet about the power (mW) of the headphone output in Ipods with no luck at all! So, please if anyone knows help me with this question.
Thanks

May 10, 2006 at 12:08 AM Post #2 of 14
I believe I heard somewhere that it was 30mW/30mW for a total of 60mW, but I may be mistaken.

I know the sound quality from the headphone out and the line out is the same, but I'm not sure about the power.

May 10, 2006 at 12:18 AM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by dhaven
I believe I heard somewhere that it was 30mW/30mW for a total of 60mW, but I may be mistaken.

I know the sound quality from the headphone out and the line out is the same, but I'm not sure about the power.

Headphone out can squeeze more "juice"
very_evil_smiley.gif

I prefer the headphone out due to the convenience it brings

May 10, 2006 at 2:36 AM Post #4 of 14
thanks for the replies. Don't you think it's strange that apple don't provide this technical specs as for example cowon do?

May 10, 2006 at 3:13 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sebastianbf
thanks for the replies. Don't you think it's strange that apple don't provide this technical specs as for example cowon do?

Not really strange. It's Apple trying to make it more simple for the user (read: dumbed-down).

May 10, 2006 at 3:27 AM Post #6 of 14
It's plenty loud, as long as your ears aren't already fried hehe

May 10, 2006 at 2:16 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Do you all think that it has more than 5mW x 2 ?

The original iPod had published specs of 30/30 mw per channel. I don't think they've changed it..........but I could be wrong.
biggrin.gif

May 10, 2006 at 2:21 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by dhaven

After some listening, I do think the line out is a bit cleaner. Toss a portable amp on the iPod out of the line out, and it's 3x better sounding.

May 10, 2006 at 2:41 PM Post #10 of 14
As I've said before, amping/comparing the headphone out at full blast is not the same as the line out... and the LO will sound cleaner for sure.

Amping the headphone out at (if I remember correctly 5 discrete volume bar movements below full blast... very carefully set, blink and you'll miss'em) a specific volume is the same as the line out. I have noticed that it seems possible to drive the headphone out just a tiny, tiny bit 'hotter' than the line out into a line level load without noticeably serious sonic penalties. I haven't done much comparative listening to that end though.

Output is in the ~30mw/channel ballpark even for the current iPod. It uses the headphone amp built into the Wolfson codec.

May 10, 2006 at 2:57 PM Post #11 of 14
Thanks for all the replies again. It's good to hear it has a powerful headphone output. Another question regarding almost the same feature: Is there any distorsion in the sound when used at high volumes or maybe with bass boost?

May 10, 2006 at 3:14 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Thanks for all the replies again. It's good to hear it has a powerful headphone output. Another question regarding almost the same feature: Is there any distorsion in the sound when used at high volumes or maybe with bass boost?

Be warned: Just because it makes the headphones loud does not mean that it is driving them correctly.

The HD650 can be driven to unlistenable volumes, but it won't be dynamic.

Also: Bass boost on the iPod has the most god-awful distortion I've ever heard. I wouldn't advise using any of those freaking EQs on there. Good headphones shouldn't distort through the normal flat EQ though.

May 10, 2006 at 3:17 PM Post #13 of 14
If you set the iPod volume control to 100% it will actually try to boost the volume (as opposed to attenuate). This will likely degrade sound quality.

You need it at 0db, so that no digital volume control is being applied at all. From looking at Rockbox's volume control, which has an option to show the attenuation/boost in decibels, I see that the highest level is +6. That implies to me that line out volume is actually at 6 clicks below the max.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back